1958 35hp Johnson/evinrude Motor

PATRICK111981

Recruit
I Bought A 1958 35hp Johnson/evinrude Boat/motor But It Has Been Parked For 18 Years In Outdoor Weather It Is In Good Condition But Dont Know If I Can Just Start It Up Or Not. Some People Say It Is Not Safe Because Probably All The Carburator Gasquets And O Rings Are Old And Dry Root Or Bad. This Boat Motor Also Needs To Have The Gas Tank Under Preasure To Pump Gas Out. I Read That This Is Just Like A Bomb. And It Is Missing The Gas Tank And Hoses. Do You Think I Can Upgrade This Motor To Have A Regular Gas Tank With Primer Bulb, Fuel Pump By Some How Changing The Carburator? Or Is It Better To Get A Whole New Engine With Controls And All?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1958 35hp Johnson/evinrude Motor

The pressure tank is perfectly safe but can be pricey and the hose end fitting is expensive.The average mechanical guy can convert it and it is probably simpler in the long run.There may be sticky or faq regarding conversion.These are good motors,rugged,reasonably quiet,pretty good grunt and reasonably light.Routine parts all the way back to the early 50s are available right here at iboats, NAPA and BRP dealers among others.
It will no doubt need a pump,and new coils if they haven been replaced
allready.Pretty sure there is a sticky about waking a sleeping out board.

freddyray21

Commander

the pressure tanks work just fine and are not a bomb any more than a regular gas tank. I am running a 57 35 hp on the tanks now. However, the tanks are pricey as has been stated. Since you don't have a tank just convert it to a fuel pump and get a regular tank. You need to at least change the impeller on the motor to insure it has the right amount of water running to it. Change the lu lube too.

PATRICK111981

Recruit

ok i got a pressurized gas tank with some dual hose line and the engine connector should i try to start it up? to see if it works or anything? have only changed spark plugs.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

If it has been sitting around for 18 years, I doubt very much that it will just start up. I suggest you find a service manual for it, so that you can start going through it, system by system. You can buy manual right here on iboats, although I don't know if they have them going back that far. If not, try EBay.

PATRICK111981

Recruit

do you have any idea on how much money it will roughly cost to follow all directions on waking a sleeping motor? the link has a bunch of things to do to the motor on the link above that was sent to me.. and thanks a whole bunch guys this has been a lot of help since you are the only people i know that knows about boats thank...

Theoutdoorsman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

do you have any idea on how much money it will roughly cost to follow all directions on waking a sleeping motor? the link has a bunch of things to do to the motor on the link above that was sent to me.. and thanks a whole bunch guys this has been a lot of help since you are the only people i know that knows about boats thank...

I'm not certain. But what I do know is that it's pocket change compared to what it might cost if you don't.......... :) ........ Eighteen years of sitting dormant is a loooong time. You'll be glad you took the time to do it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

lay the motor plugs up. remove plugs, and put some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders, let it sit a couple of days. now be ready to clean up oil. stand them motor, not try to turn it over, using your hands and feel for any rough spots. then turn it over by the rope start. now do a compression test. if equal and around 100 +. you can go forward, and check spark. and rebuild the carb. a lot of these motors were set aside due to clutch dogs. 90% are going to have cracked coils, and need a water pump kit. they essentials to make it a reliable motor are $200-250. if the clutch dog is good.