86 FORCE 125HP w/New Control Cables Won't Start

QUESTBLDR

Cadet
I replaced the control cables on a 125HP Force outboard and now the starter will not do anything. I thought I had the exact treads on the new cables as the old when I installed at the engine. Could I have it out of neutral by a small adjustment of the cables? I am not a mechanic, but have rebuilt an engine or two. Not too good at electrical stuff.

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: 86 FORCE 125HP w/New Control Cables Won't Start

I replaced the control cables on a 125HP Force outboard and now the starter will not do anything. I thought I had the exact treads on the new cables as the old when I installed at the engine. Could I have it out of neutral by a small adjustment of the cables? I am not a mechanic, but have rebuilt an engine or two. Not too good at electrical stuff.

Recheck the adjustment on the shift cable, the interlock switch has to trip or the engine won't do anything.
Are you connecting the lanyard cord to the kill switch?
Do you have the throttle handle pulled out to the neutral start position when trying to crank the engine?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

What kind of shifter.Some of them have a safety switch. That motor has a switch follow the yellow/red lead on the engine to the switch and make sure it is in the middle of the detent.Off 1/4 in and it wont turn over.Jerry

QUESTBLDR

Cadet

Thanks, I found that there was corrosion at the lanyard switch that prevented good contact. Got it started yesterday!