4.3L starter issues & metal shavings

My mercruiser 4.3l hadn't been run in almost 10 months. When trying to start the boat for the first time this season, I heard a whining/grinding noise from the starter and the engine did not appear to be turning over. I decided to pull the starter for inspection.

I was surprised that the 2 large starter bolts were not overly tight. The starter didn't have any play or wiggle if I tried to move it but the bolts were easy to loosen.

The starter was extremely hot when I took it off. I took the starter to autozone and o'reilly's and the starter passed a bench test at both stores. Upon getting back in the engine bay and inspecting everything, there was a pile of large metal shavings (some the size of small ants) in the oil pan under the location that the starter gear went. I checked the starter gear out and foundthat many of the teeth are notched and have metal missing.

I also inspected the flywheel and it seems to be okay...no missing teeth, no notched teeth, and no bad wear. I also was able to move the flywheel a few inches with a screw driver to ensure that the engine is not seized. However, there are metal shavings all over the teeth of the flywheel (and probably in the pan) which seem to have come from the starter.

I went out and bought a new starter but I am not sure what to do. I am still wondering why the old starter got shredded so bad. Is this normal for an old starter? Perhaps the bolts had loosened a bit and it was not tight enough or could it be a bigger issue? And then there is the problem of having the starter's metal shavings on the teeth of my flywheel and in the oil pan. What should I do about this? Would it be okay to replace the starter, ensure the bolts are tight, and do an oil change or do I need to take other steps to get the shavings out?

I am totally stumped guys and I really appreciate any input or suggestions!

Kyle

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 4.3L starter issues & metal shavings

Inspect the flywheel teeth all the way around the flywheel. You will probably find one section that is bad.
Will the engine turn over ok by hand? Pull the spark plugs and check for water in the cylinders.

Bondo Again

Seaman
Re: 4.3L starter issues & metal shavings

And then there is the problem of having the starter's metal shavings on the teeth of my flywheel and in the oil pan.

Ayuh,....

That's NOT the Oil Pan,.... It's the Flywheel Housing,+ has No oil in it.....

Compressed Air is the easiest way to clear out the metal filings.....
Then bolt on the New Starter,...35ft.lbs. Torque,+ Go Boating....