`72 Johnson 20 horse not pumping water

Neil_ski

Recruit
Hi everyone,

Just bought this motor. Starts great but it doesn't seem to be pumping water when I put the water muffs on it.

I replaced the impeller, but it's still not working. I tried to clean sand out of the little ports too.

From reading your fine posts, I'm going to try-
  1. pulling the LU and pump water up the copper tube to see if water can flow through
  2. Running it in a bucket instead of using the muffs in case I'm missing the intake hole (doh!) or something
  3. Drink another beer and think

If you can think of anything else, please let me know. I'm wondering if the waterpump housing is worn out too?

Thanks!
Neil

tawd77

Seaman Apprentice
Re: `72 Johnson 20 horse not pumping water

I have had problems getting those older motors to pump water from muffs... Submerge the engine past the water inlet and if it still doesnt pump it will probably need an impeller.

Neil_ski

Recruit

I have had problems getting those older motors to pump water from muffs... Submerge the engine past the water inlet and if it still doesnt pump it will probably need an impeller.

The new one was installed today. So you've had trouble getting the muffs to work eh. There is hope! I'll try it in the bucket tomorrow.

Neil_ski

Recruit

Well that was the problem. I ran it in a 5 gallon bucket and it squirted water like a champ. I guess the muffs don't work too well on this model.

I can't wait to try this puppy out on the water!