Midwest Storms

Pony

Rear Admiral
A lot of bad weather around here lately. The Tornado Sirens were going off all afternoon as well as yesterday. Here are some storm pics of the Milwaukee area. The last three were taken by my apartment.....you can really see how fast flooding happens......the last two pictures are 5 minutes apart. That water is still there.....hasn't yet drained into the river that is behind the building.

22876_large%20(Small).jpg

22894_large%20(Small).jpg

22897_large%20(Small).jpg

22930_large%20(Small).jpg

22934_large%20(Small).jpg

22943_large%20(Small).jpg

kmk_7110

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Midwest Storms

Ahh yes. Those lovely storms we have been having. My neck of the woods didn't catch yesterdays mess or the brunt of todays thankfully, tho the rain was enough to stop me from working on my car. :( Last i knew the water levels were higher earlier this spring but that was a few hours ago, it could be back up there.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Satrted here late last night. Most lightning I've seen in years, got 3 " of rain.

Rogue427

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most of the bad stuff has mised us so far. Just light rain.:)

bassman284

Commander

More coming down right now. I'm just to the south of the really nasty stuff, but Marion IA just reported a 100 mph wind gust that tore up some stuff.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Yup should be an interesting night......the storms that are moving through now are pretty bad. 60-80mph and hail. I was up on the roof just before this batch hit trying to clean out the gutters............the sky was probably the darkest I have ever seen.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Stay safe guys.We can't get a drop of rain here.100* today and it hasn't rained in weeks.
I used to live in northwest Ohio i remember those tornado sirens very well.

angus63

Captain

92 degrees on the ocean with the water temps 58-64 degrees. Yup, this afternoon large t'storm with small tornado tore down the beach today about 10miles east of me. Wacky weather for early June.

jpfieber

Cadet

I've had my house for 10 years, yesterday was the first time I got water in my basement. Only a little came in through the window well, which was full to the top. Most actually came up through the floor drain. Fortunately it wasn't sewage, just storm water. Was 1" to 4" deep. Not fun. Everything is drying now, and I've got a pump rigged up in case it starts coming up again. My fingers are crossed!

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer

Storms were bad here over the weekend. Hail, 6-10 inches of rain, An ef-1 tornado, straight line winds and lots of flooding. If you all remember back to last September 19 when Minnesota had bad flooding with houses sliding off their foundations. Well this latest storm hit the same area. Thank god only 1 house has been lost due to them shifting off their foundations and mud slides galore.

I hope the people in the Lower Mississippi Valley are ready for some water because its coming and coming quick!

Pony

Rear Admiral

lakedelton1_nw.jpg

That is all that is left of Lake Delton......I think that is where the Tommy Bartlett show is. They cancelled it the other day because there was too much water.........so much it made its own channel.

"Up from the dam the lake just got so much pressure and so much water it went over the banks to the river and started making its own channel," Jelinek said. "As the water started exiting the lake, it made its own channel. It went across Highway A and as it got wider it took three homes with it."

Rivers here are at 35 year highs.........more rain tonight. We could use a break.

jpfieber

Cadet

I've had my house for 10 years, yesterday was the first time I got water in my basement. Only a little came in through the window well, which was full to the top. Most actually came up through the floor drain. Fortunately it wasn't sewage, just storm water. Was 1" to 4" deep. Not fun. Everything is drying now, and I've got a pump rigged up in case it starts coming up again. My fingers are crossed!

Two hours after I wrote this, I heard a thud in my backyard. I looked out my patio door to find 1/3 of my huuuge Box Elder lying in my yard, and resting on my neighbors garage. NOT a good weekend!

gonefishie

Commander

Oh yeah, we're flooddeedd! A third of IN is declared disaster areas, rivers crested above the record flood level set in 1913. It's one great big muddy mess right now. Last night storm broke half of a tree across the street from me and one house in my subdivision got blown down. There are broken earthen dams too. The state's largest reservoir was flooded, the water that came over the top of the spillway looked like Niagra Falls. Peoples along the lower Ohio and Miss. river better be packing real soon. They are gonna get hammer if not already.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Just got power back about 30 minutes ago. Been off since Sunday afternoon.
A small (EF-1) tornado passed 700' to the south of us and half mile down road a lady was killed when her RV was tossed onto her. No damage here but feel bad for her and her family.
The sound of chainsaws and smell of wood smoke has filled the air for last three evenings.
Stupidly I stood at a window and watched sheets of rain go horizontal north and then horizontal south as twister went by.
Some of the trees that were snapped off are just jaw dropping.

Last edited:

kmk_7110

Petty Officer 1st Class

lakedelton1_nw.jpg

That is all that is left of Lake Delton......I think that is where the Tommy Bartlett show is. They cancelled it the other day because there was too much water.........so much it made its own channel.

"Up from the dam the lake just got so much pressure and so much water it went over the banks to the river and started making its own channel," Jelinek said. "As the water started exiting the lake, it made its own channel. It went across Highway A and as it got wider it took three homes with it."

Rivers here are at 35 year highs.........more rain tonight. We could use a break.

This upcoming weekend my buddies and I are going to go see the damage and go on a ducks tour. Will take the camera along and take many photos.
And that is where the Tommy Bartlett show is. They canceled the ski show now obviously. Not its just Tommy Bartletts Stage and Air show no Ski in there.

I also heard from portage locals that people were waiting on the bridge to see houses come down the river.

The fox river and montello river are very high and much of montello that has Montello river front property are sandbagging. Will take many picture when i get a chance.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

We could use that rain... we're headed straight back into bad drought...

I made a rain barrel to water the garden with, without having to pay high water prices... but the only time it's been filled is when I filled it with the hose to test it.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

After dealing with our flood last year that destroyed many residences and business, I really feel for everyone that goes thru this. So far we have been spared in this area. We have had some heavy rain lately, but not the 8" in 4 hours like last year!

I still have a fear of it happening again since they haven't moved my shop to higher ground yet.

Booberdoo

Seaman Apprentice

Satrted here late last night. Most lightning I've seen in years, got 3 " of rain.

Tell me about it, I was out on Lake MI last Sunday with a couple of girls when it hit; came in fast. Kind of funny because I was trying to scare them a little, and I got my wish; nothing but screaming as I beach the boat at the State park so we could run for cover. Thank God I wasn't too far out. Had to pull the plug on the way in so she could drain, which also means all throttle and those wave kicked up pretty good. Wild ride and not something I wish to do again anytime soon.

I did have to comfort the girls so it wasn't all bad.

Also, we have a project in St. Johns that we are just wrapping up. Either a twister or straight line winds ripped the roof off the old Carter Lumber on 27 there which is right down the road from us; too close for comfort.

I am originally from Laingsburg and my Uncle used to own a restaraunt in Grand Ledge.

Last edited:

kmk_7110

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some photos as I said I would

**NOTE** All of these photos were taken before the recent line of storms. I was taking them as it started to sprinkle before leaving for work.**

The dam of Buffalo Lake. You can't see much but where the ripple of the water is, is where the dam should be. *Its there just under water, and they can't raise it or else it will flood many homes on the lake. When they will just flood a campground down river. Give or take. Can't win them all.

This is a better photo of it. You can't see the dam itself but on the other side of the water is supposted to be some land to fish from, as you can see its not there and is about knee to waise hieght if there is no washout. There is that bridge and another just behind me on the road (obviously :rolleyes::D) and they are both currently shut down. Only way into this town from that side of town without a decent detour which is a causeway on the same lake, which to my last knowledge had water over it also. Which would make a good 30 mile detour if no other bridges are out or covered.

Well I have more but Imageshack is giving me problems so I'll post them later on tonight or whenever it decides to work.