Where is hot water return?

jdcoombs

Seaman
I know where the cooling water intake is on mt 1969 40 HP, but where is the hot water return?
Thanks buckets
jdc

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Where is hot water return?

It is dumped into the exhaust to cool it, JD. Exits with the exhaust.

jdcoombs

Seaman
More on Where is hot water return?

More on Where is hot water return?

Uh oh. No water.
I've got a new impeller ***'y. I'll try 'er today w/ water higher in bucket. If that doesn't do it, where do I start next? Tubes were clean. Is there an FAQ?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I know where the cooling water intake is on mt 1969 40 HP, but where is the hot water return?
Thanks buckets
jdc

You don't say what your difficulty is. But just for info, that motor has a recirculating cooling system. When it is running at less than preferred operationg temperature, the water is redirected back down to the water pump for recirculation till it warms up. Once warmed up, the thermostat opens and the water is discharged out the exhaust and cool lake water water replaces it. The thermostat is constantly opening and closing to maintain the proper temperature.

If you are trying to run it in a bucket, you are just adding confusion. A large garbage can is minimum and the water pump needs to be submerged. Better yet get it out of that bucket and on a boat. It's more fun that way anyway.

jdcoombs

Seaman

Thanks.
I used the term "bucket" loosely. The motor is on the boat, and It's in a garbage can but I can only fill it to just over the water pump, 'cuz it's just below the pivot bracket. I thought there was a water return, but couldn't figure it out. Makes sense. I haven't run it long enough to get hot yet 'cuz I was worried avout overheating w/ no visible water. Guess I'll have to try it in the lake and hook up that temp. light. Thanks again.