burnt tilt/trim hose...In need of HELP!!!

baja23

Cadet
Upon replacing my alternator, I left for a bit and came back only to find that my outdrive was on the ground. There was obviously a leak in one of the two hoses coming from the pump, and I found it. It apparently had been burnt. Anyone ever have to replace one of them, cost, do it your self, etc? Also, I would love to do it myself, however, I cannot get to the other end of the hose because the gas tank is in the way on one side, and on the other, it is jut too tight for me to get through. I can fit about half of my forearm in there. I have a Clymer manual, and of course, there is no diagrams or schematics of it. Thanks for your in put.

baja23

Cadet
Re: burnt tilt/trim hose...In need of HELP!!!

Sorry, it is a 4.3L LX in a 89 Baja Sunsport. Will cutting the section of burnt hose out and putting an inline connector and clamps work?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ok, let me try and pry some more information out of you. Can I assume the 4.3L LX is a Mercruiser, and can I assume you have an Alpha I outdrive?

baja23

Cadet

That is correct. The pump on it is the one that Mercruiser started using in 88, 87??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Will cutting the section of burnt hose out and putting an inline connector and clamps work?

You will need to replace the hose, splicing won't work, to high pressure.

You can just remove the trim hose manifold under the anode on the transom shield and disconnect the hose.

baja23

Cadet

How exactly do I get to it? I cannot see where it is hooked into because of the motor being in the way, and I cannot get to it from the gas tank side, or from the battery side, maybe if I had longer arms and another set of eyes I could put in there.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

The connector block is accessed from outside the boat.it`s where all the trim hoses connect

Bondo Again

Seaman

You can just remove the trim hose manifold under the anode on the transom shield and disconnect the hose.

Ayuh,...... That's all Outside the boat...... ;)