Enough with the...

bhammer

Ensign
Come on folks, the debate will never be won by one side or the other. Let's get back to other topics and let the Mods have a break from closing up the threads. Now, to the point....

I just irritates the snot out of me. I put Smart tabs on the boat, chewed up my prop last weekend before I got to test and this weekend, they are calling for 15-20 winds with gusts up to 30. Not going to boat is bad enough, but now that I have new toys (tabs and props) I can't go to the lake and play. The wife has all ready told me to stop moping around. :mad::mad:

Guess I will have to mow the yard and do the other things that get in the way of boating.:D

cheburashka

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Enough with the...

I can't go to the lake and play. The wife has all ready told me to stop moping around. :mad::mad:

Yeah, I feel like I'm in that Progressive Insurance ad where the guy's motorcycle is in the shop and he's trying to do things around the house with his helmet and leathers on. I need to get out and do something, and instead I'm hovering over this computer waiting for someone to step on my toes.

I've got big toes.

Wind just drives me nuts. I can handle cold or heat, but wind makes me want to stay inside and throw things. Maybe I should get a sailboat.

bhammer

Ensign

I flew into DFW this afternoon and always look down at several of the larger lakes to see what's going on. Even the blow boats were buttoned up. :mad:

We'll see what it's like in the afternoon.

Knot Waiting

We've had some of the strongest winds I can ever remember up here lately. Seems it never stops, it use to be calm by evening but now it just pushes on through. Watched a few desperate guys tryin launch last weekend even as waves crashed over their transom at the dock

bhammer

Ensign

We've had some of the strongest winds I can ever remember up here lately. Seems it never stops, it use to be calm by evening but now it just pushes on through. Watched a few desperate guys tryin launch last weekend even as waves crashed over their transom at the dock

I've spent time in your neck of the woods at the airshow and months out in Appleton. Lots of great lakes around your parts. Has the snow melted and boatin season yet. :D

The jetstream is doing some weird stuff right now. All the storms that are generally around here are up north.

Next time I am up there, I'll give you a shout.

azlakes

Yea Wind just drives me nuts. I can handle cold or heat, but wind makes me want to stay inside and throw things. Maybe I should get a sailboat.

agreed, its been windy around here also and red flag warnings across the state. its gotta give us a break before monsoon season.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My flag pole has been in for about 8 years. Survived T'storms with reported gusts to 60.

Wednesday with "reported" gusts to 50 (no storm) it snapped off at the base. :(

Knot Waiting

I've spent time in your neck of the woods at the airshow and months out in Appleton. Lots of great lakes around your parts. Has the snow melted and boatin season yet. :D

The jetstream is doing some weird stuff right now. All the storms that are generally around here are up north.

Next time I am up there, I'll give you a shout.

I'll say it quietly because I dont want to jinx it, but yeah, the snow is finally gone. Water isnt too bad actually... well that is to say for us Wisconsin folk it feels kinda warm, lol. Just waiting for this wind to die down so I can get out into it again.

tashasdaddy

i was in Oshkosh, last year, for the Bayliner 205 unvailing. the wind never quit.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

My flag pole has been in for about 8 years. Survived T'storms with reported gusts to 60.

Wednesday with "reported" gusts to 50 (no storm) it snapped off at the base. :(

WHAT!!!

The three images I hold in my brain of the Hideout..... JB, The flying American flag and the Boston Whaler.... (when then there are the Armadillo's, pecan trees and tanks).

I might suggest a fiberglass pole to replace the old one.

bhammer

Ensign

Hey JB, I Google Earth Whitt, TX. That's a pretty small town. What lake do you frequent?

That is too bad for the flagpole. We had one mounted on the side of the house and it clean ripped it off last year. I now take the flag down during high winds.

Pony

Rear Admiral

i was in Oshkosh, last year, for the Bayliner 205 unvailing. the wind never quit.

You should go to downtown Milwaukee and get the wind tunnel effect off of Lake Michigan. I am not sure, but I think that it is actually more windy here on average than the "windy city".

tashasdaddy

the hideout has a stocked pond. he doesn't have to leave there except for groceries, and to see his family.

JB

The "official" population of Whitt is 35.

kmk_7110

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll say it quietly because I dont want to jinx it, but yeah, the snow is finally gone. Water isnt too bad actually... well that is to say for us Wisconsin folk it feels kinda warm, lol. Just waiting for this wind to die down so I can get out into it again.

I agree the water is quite warm. I've already been for a swim in the river memorial weekend. :D

Pony

Rear Admiral

Speaking of Wind....................The Tornado Sirens are going off right now. Weather channel is talking about tennis ball sized hail and 80mph straight line winds.......Thank God I was able to fit my new truck in the garage!

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

The "official" population of Whitt is 35.

I think I remember my uncle telling me he learned to fly Hueys there (ARMY, in the 60's) but I could have that wrong...sounds like my kind of place, though...

chopper1.gif

JB

Yes, bjcsc. There is an "airfield" a couple of miles from The Hideout where helicopter pilots were trained during 'Nam. It now grazes about 50 cattle.

My flagpole was telescoping tubular aluminum. Upon closer examination I found a nick where it broke off. I must have clipped it with the field mower. Too lazy to switch to the finish mower to do a half acre. :(

The "official" population is misleading. Whitt is not a town, it is a Post Office and a VFD. There are about 100 boxes rented at the P.O. by people who live in about a 10 square mile area. Whitt was once a bustling little town but it was flattened by a tornado on July 4, 1906. It de-chartered as an official "city" and never recovered. On The Hideout are the last remains of the town sawmill and foundations of two homes.

obezag

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Been wondering how much wind is too much. We're fairly new to boating. We bought a '92 Wellcraft Eclipse 216 a couple of years ago. We're in Western New York on Lake Erie's eastern basin. Still trying to learn the best wind direction and wind speed for boating. Last year we were in 4 - 5 foot waves and had a heck of a time controlling the boat. A few days later we were in similar conditions and actually did a lot better but it was still nerve wracking! Don't know how people do it in even rougher waters. Maybe we're just too old and cautious. We were out yesterday in 15+ mph winds from the SW and the lake was very smooth. We'll figure it out. Saw the terrible weather the Midwest has been going through. We feel for you.