Recommendations for glue - teak swim platform

Celeb92

Seaman Apprentice
Hi. I'm reworking an open slat swim platform from another boat to fit mine. I bought some old teak deck hatches for the wood. I'll use ss screws and other hardware but I'm sure that the assembly would be stronger with some glue in the right places. I've heard that gorilla glue should be great for this application but I'm wondering if anyone has any comments on that or recommendations for other types of glue to use on teak that will be getting wet frequently.

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Recommendations for glue - teak swim platform

Polyurathane glue works well with teak. Gorilla glue is 1 brand.
Wet with water 1 piece and apply glue to the other. Water helps activate the glue. Clamp together, takes about 6 - 8 hour to dry.
Watch out for the foaming, it can make a mess. The glue expands as it foams and drys. I use acetone for clean up, wear gloves. Check for more foaming after 45min to 1 hour, re-clean.

salty87

Commander

i was at west marine recently and saw an adhesive made specifically for teak. it wasn't 3m, can't remember who made it.

Celeb92

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks WoodCrafter. The local stores carry gorilla glue so I'll look for other brands but will probably use the gorilla. I appreciate the advice.

Denning

Seaman Apprentice

Changing the subject for a moment... I just put an untreated Teak Deck on my boat this past May. I put a moderate coat of Teakwood Oil on it before I put it in the water. How often should I re-treat it with Teakwood Oil? I've been told to do it each winter (in the off season) and I've been told that it's not that important for about every 5 years or so...