What is the difference in Zamak and Stainless steel tube fittings?

ArkBoater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need to get a 90* tube rail base and I was just looking on the iboats store and they have the stainless and one called Zamak that is almost 1/2 the price of the stainless. I am using it to attach a swim ladder to the transom. Would the Zamak work for this? I'm just trying to save a couple of $$. Also, this will be in all fresh water use and no salt. thanks! :D

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What is the difference in Zamak and Stainless steel tube fittings?

Zamak is ok in fresh water, but I still prefer ss. The Zamak is much weaker strength-wise and the chrome finish will pit over time even in fresh water.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I believe Zamak is chrome plated cast white metal. You might look for chrome-plated brass. It should be cheaper than SS.

ArkBoater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I believe Zamak is chrome plated cast white metal. You might look for chrome-plated brass. It should be cheaper than SS.

Thanks for the info! Any idea where to get chrome-plated brass tube fittings???? :confused: You know of a website or anything?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Zamak is a high zinc content white metal that has been plated. Sometimes it?s plated with chrome and other times it?s plated with bright zinc. The stuff goes up like Alka-Seltzer in Saltwater

Look for WhiteCap Industries products. They supply good quality stainless componets (most likely SW Asian) at prices sometimes half of what Perko and others want.

Also check out Surplus Unlimited. They carry a nice selection of Stainless rail componets at great prices from time to time as well.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

It's a you-get-what-you-pay-for scenario. SS is stronger and will last longer. It's your best investment.:cool:

ArkBoater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks dingbat!!! I looked on Surplus Unlimited and they has the exact rail fitting I needed and the stainless was only $7.95!! The cheapest I found on any other site, and i did a LOT of searching, was $10.95. Thanks again! :D

erikgreen

Captain

Stainless (assuming 316 stainless) is about 40% stronger than zamak, and is much more corrosion resistant, important in salt water.

It's also much, much cheaper.

Plated brass might be cheaper, but has a similar yield strength to zamak.

But, in any of these cases, improper installation will negate any strength benefits. Install the hardware with a backing plate and non corroding bolts.

Actually, even if enough force were applied to the brass or zamak to snap it, the fitting would have long since pulled the backing plate out of the boat, unless it was bedded in metal. Fiberglass is strong, but applying enough force to snap even a brass fitting would cause an impressive failure.

Erik

ArkBoater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Stainless (assuming 316 stainless) is about 40% stronger than zamak, and is much more corrosion resistant, important in salt water.

It's also much, much cheaper.

Plated brass might be cheaper, but has a similar yield strength to zamak.

But, in any of these cases, improper installation will negate any strength benefits. Install the hardware with a backing plate and non corroding bolts.

Actually, even if enough force were applied to the brass or zamak to snap it, the fitting would have long since pulled the backing plate out of the boat, unless it was bedded in metal. Fiberglass is strong, but applying enough force to snap even a brass fitting would cause an impressive failure.

Erik

That brings up another question Erik. When mounting, would it be best to go through with bolts and use large washers on the back with only the the fiberglass, or would it be better to take a piece (say one foot square) of 1/2" plywood and glue it to the transom on the inside and have the bolts go through the transom, through the plywood, and then have the large washers on that? I have some extra ext grade plywood laying around so I was thinking about using it. What do you think?