trailer winch ?

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a question for you guys. I have a Fulton T2605 winch that came from factory I guess on my 2001 ex loader bunk trailer. Now the strap which is over 7 years old started coming apart and the winch itself wouldnt lock anymore. And started bending around the latch part. Not sure If its from age or just not being strong enough. I have a 21ft CC.
So I decided to upgrade the winch to a Fulton T3205 which doesnt come with strap or cable.

Now question I have is. On the box it says Cable only for this model due to the lager size drum. Can I use a HD strap instead? 2X25ft Or should I just stay with the cable. They recomend the 7/32 X 25ft. which has the capacity of 5600 lbs. and the strap has a cap. of 10000 lbs. I would rather go with the strap since I wouldnt have to worry about the rust or cable splintering from what I've read.

Thanks!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: trailer winch ?

If the drum is flat and wide enough to accept the strap, go with it. If the drum is not wide enough for a strap then don't because the strap could fold over on itself and that increases stresses.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

also being a big drum, you may not have enough space for a full length strap. cable takes much less space on the drum.

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the drum is flat and wide enough to accept the strap, go with it. If the drum is not wide enough for a strap then don't because the strap could fold over on itself and that increases stresses.

Thanks for your replies. But the drum is round and wider than the strap drums well compared to my last one. I called Fulton to ask that question and there answer was to use cable only cause of the drum being wider. The strap would walk from side to side. So I installed the cable. They also said to lube the cable. But I forgot to ask with what.
Does anybody know what there talking about? WD40 maybe?

Thanks again

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i use WD-40, i have a greasy cable.