1970 85 hp evinrude

mnessman

Seaman
I have a 70 85hp rude that I just recently obtained for free. The motor was used in salt water and had been sitting for at least 4 years with out being ran (to the best of my knowledge). I was able to get it to start and ran it for about 20 min before it died. I did not do a compression test so I do not know the condition of the engine. It has the electric shift lower unit and I dont think it is working correctly. I was checking some of the bolts on one of the heads and two bolts broke off at the head the third came out okay. Their is corrosion of pieces of the outside of the motor that I dont know if I can find replacement parts for. I am curious if this motor sounds like it is worth rebuilding and how easy is it to find parts for the eletric shift components.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1970 85 hp evinrude

Before you start worrying about finding parts for the shift, diagnose the problem. But just for your information, the push button switches gave a lot of trouble, and are hard to find and cost an arm and a leg when you do find them.