1959 5.5 HP Evinrude Golden Jubilee Fisherman no power

ironhead333

Recruit
Motor ran fine last season. I broke my foot last fall and was unable to winterize. This season, it ran fine until the first slow wake zone, and then the no power symptom occurred.

I've cleaned and then rebuilt the carburator, replaced plugs but still no joy. Motor starts fine. Runs as it should +some out of gear. When gear is engaged WOT provides no more than idle speed.

Suspect fuel pump, or float. Can't find float part number. NAPA couldn't either.

Bought a "parts motor" from craigslist. The fuel pumps are different because neither originally had a fuel pump, but had a pressurized fuel tank.

One is mounted external to the cover and runs a line to get vacuum. The other mounts directly to the a port on the side of the engine. I'm not sure which one is correct, and don't know the part number for either.

I've purchased a .pdf manual for the engine, and many more, however, part numbers aren't included. Explosions are.

I'd like to determine, which, if either of the fuel pumps is usable as is, or get part numbers for a fuel pump for the boat motor in the title of this post.

Thank you for you time. I've tried to be brief. I'll answer any further questions that might help resolve my issue.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: 1959 5.5 HP Evinrude Golden Jubilee Fisherman no power

It sounds like a coil is not firing. Have you confirmed 2 good strong sparks? I think there's an access port on top of the flywheel so that you can look in and see the coils. Any cracks or signs of aging at all and they're probably toast. I have a Johnson '59 5.5 in a box right now apart that will probably never be put together again, the brass bushings were in too rough shape.

Also, if you suspect fuel delivery, when it is idling and in gear and you're trying to get more power out of it spray some 24:1 premix directly in the carb and see if it revs up or not. This will tell you if it's fuel problem or not. But I suspect not or it would not run at all. (usually). My bet is coils.

ironhead333

Recruit

Thanks for the quick response Steve. I haven't verified two solid sparks, I'm not sure how to, but the motor starts easy as pie and out of gear will run WOT like a bat out of hadeez. I can send pictures of the motor if that will help, and I know, well think, I can get coils from NAPA. I have those NAPA part numbers available to me.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

It sounds like a coil is not firing. Have you confirmed 2 good strong sparks? I think there's an access port on top of the flywheel so that you can look in and see the coils. Any cracks or signs of aging at all and they're probably toast. I have a '59 5.5 in a box right now apart that will probably never be put together again, the brass bushings were in too rough shape.

Also, if you suspect fuel delivery, when it is idling and in gear and you're trying to get more power out of it spray some 24:1 premix directly in the carb and see if it revs up or not. This will tell you if it's fuel problem or not. But I suspect not or it would not run at all. (usually). My bet is coils.

As suggested check for good hot blue spark with an audiuble snap.
Then operate the throttle be sure stator advances and the carb opens.

ironhead333

Recruit

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll have to wait on that until I can ground the plug and get someone to pull the rope. Kind of tricky to do by yourself.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

If you don't have a spark tester then you will need a 2nd person. Spark testers are like $10-20 and available most auto stores.. it just provides an adjustable gap and then it clips to ground, basically what you would do if you were holding it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

As everybody has already suggested, quit dinking around with the fuel system and fix the ignition. It is running on one cylinder. '59 probably has bad coils, unless somebody has already changed them.

ironhead333

Recruit

Took your advice. 2 new coils, 2 sets of points later, still no joy. Finally gave it up and took it to the shop.

Bad plug wire.

Thanks for the tips though.

Bryan

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Well it was in the ignition system. :)