rapido 5.7 break in update

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
hi yall

i just start the brea in runs on my 1985 carver montego include the extra horse power

first i break in the cam by keeping the rpm at 20 to 2500 rpm in nutral for 30 min, the next day i took it out for a run at 20 to 25 3000 rpm.

today i took her out for a one hour cruise at 20 to 25 to 3000 rpm reminder i dosent kep it at 3000 rpm for long just for a min each times. water was calm gps speed was 17 knots at 3000 rpm

engine runs great sound great so far, only thing at idle i can hear the

Last edited:

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
Re: rapido 5.7 break in update

going for another cruise, i have a 7 to 8 miles distant to the fishing reef this coming weekend, should i take it out there or i should break it in locally some more. your thought guys

Last edited:

erikgreen

Captain

I started running mine in bursts to 3000 rpm at about 6 hours, and WOT bursts for a few min at 10 or so hours.

Take it where you like, but be aware if an emergency happens and you need full speed you might "break it in" earlier than you'd like, or earlier than is good for the engine's long term life, so have a plan for that.

I'm going to avoid long WOT runs for another few hours at least.

Erik

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer

i have about four hour on the engine now, is it ok now to slow down in the no wake zone ???? people start complaining sayind i am making too much wake, its ok for them to do it and others not just rich folks who live at the water edge.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

I have about 10 hrs on my Rapido 5.7 Vortec..........so far so good!
Have only gone up to 4000RPM so far.........may try for WOT this w/e.

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

be a good boater, make no wake when needed. who cares what every rich boaters does..

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds good. I'd change the oil too since the cam is broken in now. Get that break in lube out.

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer

took it out this evening four guys on board , half tank gas bait sodas ice junks in my aft cabin lol, 3200 rpm 20 knots on calm water, still dont trip up the drive as yet also found out one side of my trim tabs is not working,,. four buttons for the tab when i press them one by one i hear the motor runs but one does nothing, will have to fix that in the morning.

i also felt the risers starboard side is running too hot port is ok , what could be the cause?? risers/manifold are new.

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer

dakota i am a good boater i was just told to keep up the above headind out to the inlet so not to have the rings seat at low rpm.

about the rich folks it is ok for there kids to be gunning there jetski and seadoo shaking p every boat in the marina, but if you just pass with not even much wakes they shout and give you that dirty looks. but thats life.

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer

update her guys i try to put the boat wot for the first time today, i only got 3800 rpm max my prop is a 16 pitch four blade aluminium.

i just think something is wrong with this engine, from day one.

i will try do a compression test this week .

my carb seem to smell a little rich also . but for an engine that sopose to have the extra horse power kit right now iam not impress.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

sorry to hear that bolo...............

I am very satisfied w/ my Rapido Vortec..........just hit 30hrs.

This past w/e I ran wot @ 4400RPM with 5 adults on board.

My boat weighs ~4200lbs, turning a 16" pitch 4 blade alum prop.

You sure you are running on all 8 cylinders?

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer

thanks toney , well i gess, with the rmp at 1500 i pull one plug wire and all seems to make the engine stumble a bit.
my carb smell rich at idle , even when iam heading out it smell kinda rich. what i also notice if i rev it steady in nutral at say 1500 rmp that same knocking sound came back, and it seems to be coming from the starboard side head area, if i leave it there still holding that rpm, the sound will just disapear. where woul start trouble shoot guys ,
1 pull plugs and see how they r burning

2 do a compression test

3 adjust the carb

4 tell rapido the engine is a mess

5 i told him about the prob from day one hes if the engine has problem he will replace it.

with that extra hores kit install no way i should not be able to turn that 16 pitch prop.

i install new ngk plugs wire cap roto from day one can plugs go bad that quick.

tony i am happy for u but sad for me lol

good luck

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer

i think so with the engine running i back one out just to where it start clatter, i then turn it back in antil it stop clatter, i then giv it one more full turn tight.

there is def a problem on that side the other side is ok.

at idle i cant hear the noise engine runs fine . but at about 14 to 1500 rpm ait idle you can hear the noise. sometimes the noise sound internal, like i knock. this engine is just not right , trust me.

well sometimes some engine just dosent build right thats not a crime it happens, just sorry that hapen to me i dont have money to throw away lol.

erikgreen

Captain

I'd do a compression and leak down test, see if there's a problem with the valves or cylinders.

If you see a leak where there shouldn't be one or 0 compression, then you'll need to pull the head and figure out why.

If the engine's not working it could be you or Rapido, you need more info before you point any fingers at anyone. Run the tests and see.

Erik

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer

who the hell is pointing fingrs dude i am just looking for solutions like everyone else on this forum.

just because u get an engine from rapido and you did not have a problem ,that dosent mean others wont . no builders are perfect i am already **** of and u g\just making me mor with that coment.

pointing fingers.

if u have3 nothing better to post please dont.

ziggy

Admiral

I'd do a compression and leak down test, see if there's a problem with the valves or cylinders.
that seems like it'd be a good place to start at to me.... then work from there....

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer

comprssion test i will do . leak down i cant do dont know how dont have3 the tools for that. thanks