Edlebrock 1409

ajkolar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I see a company is selling remanufactured and tested edlebrock marine carbs (E-1409) on ebay for $249.00 (600 CFM, eletric choke). Anyone have any personal expierence with a carb from these guys (National Carburetors)? Any other general opinions. See how it would cost me $60 just to get my quadrajunk choke working (with eletric conversion) and the fact it has been rebuilt in the 4 years I've owned it, and who knows how long before that (if ever, on a 20 year old boat) this is looking like an interesting option.

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: Edlebrock 1409

Its only about $60 more for new (last time I looked), so I wouldn't bother with a rebuilt for that cost. Ebay, you probably have shipping, while Summit and Jegs usually have low or free shipping. Also, there are some places that sell for a little less than them. Many people find it is tuned right for their SBC marine engine, out of the box. Otherwise, you may have some tuning like with any carb change. Depending on your current intake, you might need one that can mount a squarebore carb or a conversion adapter(yuk) .

Sounds like your Q-jet is tired and probably not worth rebuilding. There use to be a Ebay seller that had Marine Re-man Q-jets w/electric chokes for $250. Name doesn't jump out of me right now. But, if going a reman/rebuilt route, that is what I'd choose. New, the Edelbrock 1409 is a good choice.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Tossed my QJunk in the water, and bought a new EB about 2 years ago...think it was only $300, with the kit for the spreadbore..from Summit Racing

ajkolar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the stock intake on the motor. So there was a pakage for $300 for both the edlebrock carb and the adapter for the intake?

Just to clarify, the edlebrock carb isn't a direct bolt on to the stock intake?

Thanks!

f_inscreenname

Commander

I don't think they are going to put new shafts in that Edelbrock for that price and they are the thing that usually goes wrong with them when they go bad.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Just to clarify, the edlebrock carb isn't a direct bolt on to the stock intake?
Thanks!

You have to look at your intake. If you have the low-profile intake, it is probably spread-bore only. If you have the high-rise, it can accept both. You will need a new fuel line, but throttle bracket and flame arrester should fit.

While I don't like the adapters, others like Scaaty are happy with them. Merc even used them when Q-jets were not being made anymore, and switched to Webers/Edelbrock.

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

Just bought anew 1409 myself. Perfect right out of the box. Only mods were a fuel line and throttle bracket. The stock braket mounting holes are differant then the squarbore carbs. I purchased a universal engine throttle bracket for carbs from autozone for 10 bucks and made it fit. No problems. I can post pics if anybody is interested tomorrow.

ajkolar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

mkos1980,

Yes, please post any pics you have. It would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

I will try to take some tomorrow (suppose to rain) If not wed for sure.

mtnrat

Chief Petty Officer

. There use to be a Ebay seller that had Marine Re-man Q-jets w/electric chokes for $250. Name doesn't jump out of me right now. But, if going a reman/rebuilt route, that is what I'd choose. New, the Edelbrock 1409 is a good choice.

That would be i-5 automotive

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

I love the 1409 on my v-6 and am getting the 1410 dialed in on my 383... not right yet and more of a challenge than the minor jetting the 4.3 required... but getting there.

Coors

Captain

There is a thread in here from last week; Guy was having problems with a National carb.
Don't know whether it was just adjustment or not. Read back.

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

OK, we have makeshift stud on the carb. Basically a bolt with a lock nut on the other side, the cable connection, and another locknut. Second pic is the adapter I bought at Autozone. It bolts to the carb bolt right in the corner and runs along the cable. Other pic shows the steel Edelbrock line that comes staight down under the carb to marine hose. Last pic is the PCV valve I put on. I drilled out the hole already put there by edelbrock, tapped and put fitting on there and viola.

Attachments

• c6rsa 017.jpg
    c6rsa 017.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 2
  • c6rsa 018.jpg
    c6rsa 018.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 2
  • c6rsa 019.jpg
    c6rsa 019.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 3
  • c6rsa 020.jpg
    c6rsa 020.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 2
  • c6rsa 021.jpg
    c6rsa 021.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 3

John_S

Rear Admiral

AJ,

-The PVC valve is not required and your current vent hose/flame arrestor should work. There might be accel pump or other clearance issues, so you need to check it. A new K&N flame arrestor will run around $100, and the vent hose fittings are pricy. The port that mkos modified is where the auto version has a vacuum port. While it may work fine, it probably voids a new carb warrantee. If you had to go PVC, look to use the port on the intake, just behind the carb. The fittings are available at auto stores. I use it for vacuum gauge readings. Plugged during normal use.

-The Merc 4brl throttle bracket is about $40 new, or half that on ebay. It is a bit pricy over a universal bracket. Just letting you know what your options are.

-Merc also has a preformed fuel line from mechanical pump to weber carb(same as edelbrock). There are two versions based on intake height. A little research is required to find the right one. You will also need to know if you are going to use an adapter because this will raise height. I am not sure of the CG requirements for flexible fuel hose fittings. Mkos or others might be able to elaberate. I'd bet that it is not just cutting off a straight section of fuel line and sliding the hose over, and clamping. Some sort of flaring is probably required.

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

Yea, the KN is pricey but I picked it up on eBay for 25 bucks. It will NOT fit a Qjet. The pump handle is in the way. Also those, vent tubes to go on the KN are 17 a piece!!.

I went the pcv route because when I did a manifold swap last year I noticed condensation in the motor. With adding the pcv , no more condinsation anywhere. I also just Put a breather on the other side. This saves me some $$ and keeps the FA super clean. I wouldnt put a vac port behind the intake. That port is in #8 and could run that cyl lean. That port is for a brake booster which just keeps a vacume pressure but not draw.

As for the fuel line, I had first thought all steel was needed until I reviewd the USCG site and it mentioned that A1 could be used from the pump to the carb and A2 was from the tank to the pump. As for the connection its just A1 hose on a AN fitting port and that is screwed into the edelbrock hardline.

That boat was looked over last week by the Port Of Clevelands USCG and it passed. They DID look for the USCG number on the arrestor and also made sure it was A1 line. Other then that, just safty stuff.

John_S

Rear Admiral

- Good point about the back port. I checked the 2001 5.7L and they have the PCV hose going to the carb base. I'd choose the vent hose over drilling the new carb, though. Maybe, after warrantee expired or at least have run it enough to know it doesn't have an out of the box problem.

- I have a K&N on my Qjet, but it doesn't interfere with the accel pump. Its close but no contact. Not sure on which part number I have. I also got mine on ebay for a good price. Poster has a Q-jet flame arrester and vent hoses. I believe they will fit on Edelbrock.

ajkolar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is a pic of my intake with the carb pulled off. The part number is also visible behind the carb opening #14096242. Would I need an adapter plate for a Edlebrock 1409 carb? If so, does any one have part # / price info?

Intake.jpg

Thanks!

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

Nope. That intake is drilled for the edelbrock as well. That intake is one of the best hipo marine and street cast iron intakes around. You can tell by the bowtie.

ajkolar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I apologize for un-necessary questions.... But just for my own knowledge what would have been / looked different that would have required an adapter plate for the edlebrock carb? Just the stud hole locations? Thanks!