Evinrude Zephyr - Low / High Settings

mbangler

Recruit
Hi, I got my 1940's Evinrude Zephyr running, but I dont know how to adjust the low and high screw settings below the throttle bar. Does anyone know how they work and when and what is a good starting point. It does well at mid and full throttle but it slows down and stalls at low throttle. Thanks,

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Evinrude Zephyr - Low / High Settings

Someone will probably be along and answer your question shortly, but, you'll get faster action on questions on your Zephyr over at www.aomci.org. There are several Zephyr experts over there. The Ask A Member area will get you quick responses from one of them. Also, Zephyr parts often show up in the classified section of the site.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Evinrude Zephyr - Low / High Settings

The low speed needle is adjusted at idle throttle setting and the high at WOT and you will have to repeat several times as they interact somewhat. The low is adjusted outward until you get a rich, rolling kind of idle ... note the position. Turn the needle CW (inward) slowly until the motor idle speed starts to get very smooth and speeds up slightly. The correct setting will be the mid point between rich and lean just found.

The high is done in the same way, except at WOT. After completing the Low and high, go back and recheck each at least once ... you may have to alter the setting slightly.

BTW, a good starting position is usually ~ 1 1/2 to 2 full turns out from lightly seated. Be carefull NOT to turn either needle in hard, or you will wreck the needle profile (and it's ability to be correctly adjusted.)

Enjoy.