My 85 Thunder Craft restoration project

myoung84

Seaman
Re: My 85 Thunder Craft restoration project

Since I am building this boat on a very tight budget, what can be done to make the floor cheap? If it lasts 2 seasons I will be happy, as I will be getting a ski or wakeboard boat then when the fiance gets out of school. I found 23/32 plywood for $22 a sheet, might be able to get by with one. What can I put on the floor that is very low cost? Can I just paint it with something? Outdoor house paint? I am not looking to a 10+ year deal, just 2 or 3 years. I have 1/2 a gallon of fiber glass resin left from a subwoofer project in my truck and don't mind buying another gallon, but no more than 1 since thats about $40 a gallon.

Any thoughts?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If the resin you have is polyester then I'm told putting that on there without glass is a waste of effort because it has no strength on it's own and will just chip off. If I were you, I'd just put some pressure treated ply in there. Or none-PT and coat it a couple times with some porch and floor paint.

myoung84

Seaman

I was thinking of glassing the seams with what I have left, I will still have to get some FG mat. Then painting it heavily with house paint or something.

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you want to do it cheap, the stringers are the problem in my opinion. Yuo have to glass them to the hull, or they are just floating there....once that is done you could simply use standard plywood, cheap outdoor deck paint (done that) and carpet etc.

for a garaged boat, that will be fine. but you have to have good stringers tied to the hull/transom. cant really skip that.

myoung84

Seaman

Yeah I am definately glassing the stingers. I left part of the old glass there that was around the original stringer,so I can drop in a new 2x6 and glass around it.