Valve Tuning

Shermanator31660

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I did a search on this but nothing "jumped" out at me. I'm going to tackle adjusting/checking the valves on my F150 and was wondering if there was anything "dangerous" I should be aware of. I have a good manual explaining everything and looks pretty straight forward. One other question is, the "shims" they talk about having to replace if adjustment is needed, where can you get them and do they come in an "assortment" pack or what? Sherm

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Valve Tuning

for checking nothing is gonna jump at you.
go to NAPA or someplace and buy the go-no go feeler guage for valve lash checking. it will take all the guess work out.
if you think you need to adjust post back.
checking is easy, adjusting is a bit different

Shermanator31660

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No problemo on the feeler guages or checking the lash, I just wanted to have everything I need in the event I do have to adjust some of the valves, rather than wind up having to order something and the motor is already apart. They call for shims of some sort for making the adjustments, whatever happened to the good old adjustable type like on the F8! Sherm

Yamajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

check with your local dealer/repair shop to ensure they have a good selection of pads (shims) in stock first. the important thing is as Rodbolt says, getting the right tool so that the gap between the cam and valve pad is recorded accurately; follow your manual, ensure that you have the two cams sprockets aligned and TDC at flywheel on the mark, remove the timing belt, hoses, fuel lines off the pumps, cam cover, and you should have access to the cam shafts. check your gaps then do your maths to determine the size of the replacement pads. remove both cam shafts, make sure you mark all bolts for correct installation, once you have the cam shaft removed you have access to the valve pad and lifter. remove the lifter and carefully prie the pad off with a small screw driver. installation is the reverse. You need to ensure that the intake and exhaust cams are aligned and the flywheel is TDC.