1996 Evinrude Ocean Pro V4 Loop Charged 115HP Fuel/Oil Pump?

grantorino

Recruit
Hello all:

I bought my boat new (Four Winns) with this motor and have never had any issues with it. I don't use it much, but it does get out several times every summer and is kept in a heated garage all winter. The engine always starts right up and runs flawlessly.

Last summer I noticed what turned out to be 2-stroke oil seeping out of what I think is the fuel pump. It eventually drips down on the lower unit, but it is a super-slow leak. I know it's oil because it's green.

Does this mean the fuel pump is shot, or is there something else I should be looking at? The source appears to be above where the oil hose goes into the pump.

If it is the pump, is it hard to replace? The dealer wants $115/hr and $350 for a pump. I'd prefer to do it myself and get the pump for $277 online. I do a lot of work on my cars, but I've never had to deal with the Evinrude.

Thanks for any advice anyone may have.

-George

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 Evinrude Ocean Pro V4 Loop Charged 115HP Fuel/Oil Pump?

George....first make sure it's not coming from the pump it's self but from a poor oil line connection to the pump. I have run into this a couple times and meerly reset the hose line to the pump nipple and put a new clamp on it. I prefer the snap clamps instead of the steel wire clamps. Seems to give a more snug connection.

Jim

grantorino

Recruit

Jim, thanks for the prompt reply and tip. I'll check on that first...a lot cheaper than a fuel pump!

-George

grantorino

Recruit

Upon a closer look, the oil seems to be coming somewhere around the outlet (inlet?) on the fuel pump that has a hose connected to it which the parts manual calls "HOSE, Vapor sep. to pump assy." The other hose is the oil supply line and it seems dry around where it connects to the pump.

Does anyone know if that hose is under pressure and could be spraying oil above it? I'm finding traces of oil just above the hose connection (the "HOSE, Vapor sep. to pump assy." hose) , so, unless there's enough pressure on the line to force some oil upward, it would seem like it's leaking from the pump and seeping down onto that hose connection.

I'm going to reseat the hose and clamp as Jim suggested, clean up all the oil and keep an eye on it.

Has anyone done a fuel pump replacement on this motor? It doesn't look like it would be too hard of a job.

Thanks,

George