35 hp johnson on spark on all 3 cyls help

so like i said it is a 35 hp johnson 3 cyl but i am not sure of the year the model number is j35vl3sie and the ser number is go4924348..... i belkieve i am not getting spark at all 3 plugs i found this via spark tester and then manually checked the plug for spark. ocasionally it will start for about a half second and dies what is the problem.. so please help me with the year and the problem. thanks in advance

tah112

Cadet
Re: 35 hp johnson on spark on all 3 cyls help

Your m# did not come up but i believe it is a 2001, first the problem could be 4 things power pack, stator, rectifier, and also the saftey switch.
Checking all of them you need a manuel and a multi meter.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

agree. recheck j35vl3sie does not compute.

that is the number that came off of the motor...is there any online manuals i can look at? i cant get a manual if i dont know what year it is...what can i do without a manual?

tashasdaddy

after extensive searching J35VL3SIE elec start, TNT, 20 in shaft, wht 2001. very unusally number. manual only available thru Johnson/Evinrude dealer.

PS. it also ran fine when i took it out saturday..on at i started with no prob and ran like a dream..it started raining so we came back in and now it wont start.....i donno if that helps

that all sounds about right but it is def not a manual start it even has an elec choke

tashasdaddy

it does not have an electric choke. it has an electric primer, that replaces the choke butterfly in the carb. you carb only has one butterfly, the throttle mix butterfly. the solenoid on the side of the motor with red handle is the primer. it has small hoses that go to the carbs. when the primer solenoid is activate, by pushing in the key. the solenoid squirts gas thru the hoses to the back of the carb, directly into the intake manifold. increasing the amount of gas to air mixture, in the intake manifold. the reason the motor takes off, and runs correctly. picture of primer solenoid with red lever in correct running position.

Attachments

• primer solenoid.jpg
    primer solenoid.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 0

im not sur if that is working...when i turn the lever to the side i then see gas in the tube but, when i put it straight up and push the key in i dont see anything moving through the tube...i know this is not a gas problebb/c i sprayed ether in the all 3 carbs and it still didnt start. also we had the power pack replaced last year. i also was wondering if i were to test the rectifier and stator what whould the readings on the multi meter be..and where is the safety switch?

tashasdaddy

NEVER spray ether in a 2 stroke, quickest way to destroy a motor. use premixed fuel 50:1 in a spray bottle. normal operation position is with the red lever back over the body of the primer, as in the picture. any other position, it is allowing fuel into the intake, flooding the motor. suggest visiting a dealer and buying a OEM Manual.