3000 WOT problem

I have a 1992 60 Evinrude vro tiller engine that is giving me some problems. It ran fine until the weekend when i was running at 5500 rpms and it started to bog. The WOT rpms went to 3000 or so. I changed the plugs put carb cleaner both in the tank and the carbs, changed the fuel filter, tried a remote tank and nothing worked. I have found that hitting the choke bottom on the tiller handle while at WOT will bring the rpms up but they will not stay at the normal range. The engine will troll all day long with no problem. I have checked all the cylinders and they have good even compression. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem. Any help would be wonderful.
Thanks
Derek

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 3000 WOT problem

sounds as if you either have a fuel pump failing, air leak in fuel line or clogged high speed jets. spray carb cleaner is a waste of time and money on 2 strokes. what did you put in fuel tank. could cause damage, depending on what it was.

It was what the dealer sold me, fuel system treatment with water remover. Is there a way to test if the fuel pump is failing?
Thanks for the help
Derek

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

You could disconnect the fuel pump line going to the carb and then spin the motor over to see if it pumps gas. There are also guages that test the pressure of the fuel pump.

Is the bulb getting hard when you prime the fuel line?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i would place my bets on the carbs high speed jets. the reason being, when you hit the primer, it injects fuel into the intake manifold, and the motor takes off. showing you have spark and combustion. result is starving for fuel.

if you have a built in tank, do you have a fuel/water separator? if not get one.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=244013

I can pump the bulb firm, and have pumped the bulb while running and it did not help at all. The carb jet theory makes sense, I guess it is time for some tear down.