need manual but i'm broke 1971 7.5 mercury

cableguychris

Recruit
i just got this motor and it is now running but it seems to get hot. i need a diagram of the removing and replacement of the impeller, any help would be great its a 7.5 horse mercury 1971 for sure because i checked by serial #

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: need manual but i'm broke 1971 7.5 mercury

If you can't "afford" a manual you sure as heck can't "afford" to work on your engine or buy any parts for it.

Try your local library.

jbjennings

Captain

If you'll do a search of old threads on this topic I assure you you'll find some instructions for changing it along with pictures, too. If you can't find the old threads, I'll give it a shot explaining it to you. I don't think anyone is going to have a service manual to send you, as that would possibly even be a copyright infringement. If you do though, let me know because I'd like to have one, too! It's really very easy to do on a merc. Just a couple of nuts to get off the lower unit--one on the front just above the cavitation plate and one on the water intake screen below the cavitation plate. Be sure you don't lose the impeller key or the little o-ring that goes on the top of the driveshaft. Keep your shifter in forward, and put the shift rod in forward when you try to reinstall the lower unit. They can be a pain to get the shaft and shift rod lined up on reinstalling but keep trying and be gentle with it and you'll get it back on.
Holler back if you still need help.

8075mercury

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would check ebay for a Seloc (aftermarket) manual which is quite good I think.

These are great little motors. Two items (at least) I would check closely: 1. wires from stator, green and orange can rot out (aluminum wires, I think) and drive shaft is carbon steel and rusts letting water in lower unit.

good luck.