To cover...or not, that is the question.

nikon4u

Cadet
I have a 15 year old ski boat and the original cover for it. When I have the cover on it and it rains, the boat will get mildew on the seats and interior. Is this a normal problem and how do you correct it or what should I do. I also park it under a car port, but dust, leaves, and critters can still get in it.

new_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: To cover...or not, that is the question.

try running a couple of dryer hoses from inside to outside. this will help with ventilation.
HTH.

zach103

Commander

Does the water stay on top of the cover. if so get a support pole.. its helped me alot.. i got a cheap wally world cover that would leak when water got on it.. not anymore... but i could swear ive seen some small fans that stand on top of the support pole. if not iboats has vented ones

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Your cover needs to be vented.The mildew can be from a bunch of things.First thing is that the boat is not dry when you cover it.It must be dry.The cover must be completely water proofed.Have a canvas shop put a few vents in the cover.You can also put a small fan in the boat and turn it on for at least a few hours a day.This alone will make a big difference.If you boat in salt water ,it is crucial that you rinse everything that has had contact with the salt water or salt spray.Salt draws moisture.If you have a car port that you can keep the entire rig under ,that would be ideal and you can pull the cover off the front and back a few feet so it is not entirely sealed.Hope this helps.Charlie

Coors

Captain

Dehumidifier, run the drain through the garboard plug.

zach103

Commander

all these will help.. deff look and see if you can find the veted pole with a fan on it

ovrrdrive

Petty Officer 1st Class

Overton's has the fans for the covers to vent them...

zach103

Commander

I KNEW IT lol.. thanks man.. i was searchin all night.. thinking bout gettin one too

woosterken

Lieutenant

nikon,
check your PM box

woosterken

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Hundred bucks for a plastic fan? Geeze! What will they think of next?

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

I've tried just about anything you can think of - none of it works and my original cover has vent holes. Your best bet is to park it under a fixed roof and cover it with a light breathable cover to keep the dirt and dust out. You can buy a lightweight non-waterproof breathable semi-custom cover for ~$50 and keep it under your carport and your problem will be gone (once you kill the mildew you currently have that is)...

zach103

Commander

how bout a fan .. just a small fan for a couple hours at a time

nikon4u

Cadet

Thanks all. I think I like the idea of the pole fan and maybe not having the cover totally on, or making some way for moisture to escape.