4.3 omc oil leak timing chain cover

phillyc1

Cadet
I purchased a 4.3 V6 to replace my water logged ('cause I neglected my exhaust manifolds in saltwater) old OMC engine. This "new" block had less than 20hrs on it before the oil seal was leaking at the timing chain cover. When I pulled the harmonic balancer, I noticed the timing cover was rusted and pitted real bad. I made the stupid decision to replace the timing cover and seal myself. I had a heck of a time fitting the new cover over the old oil pan gasket. When I finally got her to go in, the oil pan gasket got twisted up causing a new leak at the pan gasket.

An auto mechanic, too fat to fit in the bilge, suggested I take some Mr. Gasket's "the right stuff" and smear it all over the gasket suface where the leak was after cleaning the area with carb cleaner. Sounds like a winner?!

Another suggestion I read on the internet was to loosen the first 5-6 oil pan bolts, wedge the pan apart and then start stuffing the gasket surface with gasket sealer like the RTV stuff. I read good and bad on this method. The bad being, once you break the seal, it will leak again, elsewhere. This 4.3 has a 1 piece gasket all around the oil pan.

Unfortunately, boat mechanics are 2 weeks behind in my area and we have the Cape May Shark Tourney coming up in a week. Are any of the suggestions above worth it or are there other proven methods short of pulling the motor out completely and replacing the oil pan gasket?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 4.3 omc oil leak timing chain cover

or are there other proven methods short of pulling the motor out completely and replacing the oil pan gasket?

Ayuh,......

Anything Short of Doing it Right,........

Is a Crap Shoot,......
And you'd probably get Better Odds at a Crap Shoot on a street corner in the Bronx.....

Coors

Captain

What Bondo said; I tried that with GM and Mopars.

Always leaked.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Is that a marine block? The reason I ask is because most have a poly timing chain cover (not metal). I remember looking at my timing chain and putting the new cover on (out and on a stand). I don't know if it's even possible to do it with the pan still in place...

phillyc1

Cadet

I can recall the previous 4.3 had a metal timing cover. Its the same as a standard 350 chevy cover. The Clymers book says you can replace the cover without removing the oil pan. The problem with the timimg cover is the slot where the pan gasket fits. The tabs at each edge of the slot make it difficult to position the timing cover onto the dowl pins. I should have ground off the tabs and it would have been easy to place the cover properly on the pan gasket.

Coors

Captain

I can recall the previous 4.3 had a metal timing cover. Its the same as a standard 350 chevy cover. The Clymers book says you can replace the cover without removing the oil pan. The problem with the timimg cover is the slot where the pan gasket fits. The tabs at each edge of the slot make it difficult to position the timing cover onto the dowl pins. I should have ground off the tabs and it would have been easy to place the cover properly on the pan gasket.

That's because they are meant to both be replaced at the same time.
I don't know why, stupid design.

phillyc1

Cadet

Coors,

Agreed. It is a poor design and the timing cover and pan gasket should be replaced at the same time. However, stupid is as stupid does. The Mr Gasket's "Right Stuff" is temporarily working. No leaks for now and it will get me thru the tournament. Well, that and a 5 qt bottle of spare 30 weight engine oil. Oh, and plenty of oil absorbant pads. I'm an idiot for shark'n in this turd. why not go all out stupid. a 22 footer 30miles off the coast of cape may fishing for Mako's that need to be a minimum of 200lbs to qualify in the tourney. Someone stop me? My wife tried but failed miserably.

Unfortunately, my 30 footer has 250 gal gas tank and 2 thirsty 350 crusaders. Its my condo on the water this year.

Coors

Captain

Good, but it will start leaking again. Tried all kind of tricks on gm and mopars-always started leaking again. Stupid design, but maybe they did it that way, because anything else the designed would leak.
Bad enough on a car, but a boat, GRRRRRR

larry1167

Seaman

I have the same problem with my GM 350. I bought a new 350 crate motor with timing cover in place. I have a very small leak (more like a seep) where the timing cover meets the oil pan. Is this a common occurance with GM 350's? I was going to try Mr. Gasket, etc to try and stop the leak but decided that would just make a mess. I finally decided to live with it and just monitor every time I go out. Very frustrating though. I bought a new engine and it leaks. Company I bought it from told me to pull engine and send back. Yeah right.... not after spending 3 weekends putting the damn thing in with a friend.

Coors

Captain

Bill them.
But if like Jasper, they only pay $65 hour, with a max. I got $1200 for a $1500 r+r, with pan and rear main replaced.