Trailering-Can't Lock Motor in Down Position

smalllundowner

Recruit
Hello, thanks in advance.

I can't get my 2001 Merc 25 Hp Long shaft to "Lock" in the down position for trailering. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Trailering-Can't Lock Motor in Down Position

Will it lock down when in the water? if so,then the motor is not perpendicular to the transom and something is impeding the travel,if not then find the obstruction and adjust,there should be removable pins that adjust the shaft travel.

22E6441

Petty Officer 1st Class

I thought you weren't supposed to lock it down?

Nighthawk

Seaman Apprentice

I would suggest investing in a transom saver. They can be bought cheap at Walmart . Leaving your outboard in the full down positionwhile towing can lead to transom damage as well as impact damage to the lower unit of the outboard .

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

transom saver.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I . Leaving your outboard in the full down positionwhile towing can lead to transom damage as well as impact damage to the lower unit of the outboard .
Huh? how do you figure that? theres more pressure exerted on the transom when motor is propelling the boat than while transporting,yes there is the risk of lower unit hitting the deck,so theres the reason for adjusting the stop at 3/4 and the drive stop at full down.