Loss of power...please help, was stranded on lake in bad rainstorm

baja23

Cadet
I have an 89 baja sunsport. 4.3L LX. Has TB4 ignition. Was out on water with friends and battery gauge was saying it was between 12 and 10 and afterwards was below 10. couldnt turn radio on, whenever Id be going, Id try and trim or hit the horn or cig lighter and engine would lose power. Alternator maybe? And also, upon trying to head back, I could not go over 5 mps and when Id hit the gas I could smell unburnt gas from the engine hatch. It would almost stall when I would hit the trim or tilt. and the lights wouldnt work? My guess is a bad alternator?? I charged the battery and the gauge read between 12 and 14 and when started went down to 12. any suggestions, please help. I was out on the lake, boat full and then the rainstorm started and it took me forever to come in. upon getting back, the motor died, wouldnt tilt up and I had to hand load on trailer. Once jumper cables hooked up, was fine and I could trim motor up. thanks for your help!!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Loss of power...please help, was stranded on lake in bad rainstorm

Ayuh,.....

Your gauge should show 12v with just the key in the On position....
When the motor is Running,... It should show 13.6v....

If it Doesn't,.... There's a Charging System Issue.....

It could be nothing more than a Broken Wire,... Or Dirty, Corroded Wiring,.. Or, the Alternator....

Finding the Problem is Much Cheaper than just Throwing Parts at it, Hopeing you Might get Lucky......

Btw,..... Welcome Aboard to the forums here at iboats...

Muqwump

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Loss of power...please help, was stranded on lake in bad rainstorm

Do you have anything else wired directly to the battery like the radio or a amp?