New Boat and a few ??s

arjay2008

Cadet
I just got my first boat, a 1973 Marlin 16' closed bow with a 1973 Mercury 115HP. I got it for $600, which I think is a steal, and need to know what I need to get. I have plenty of type II pfds, bumpers, tie rope, anchor, ski flag, ski rope, and a tube. Will I need to get insurance? My steering is also broken, the wheel is loose and I'm pretty sure the cable is disconnected. Will this be hard to fix?

6bd4685e9f5b.jpg

902bf35f129e.jpg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: New Boat and a few ??s

Yes -- you need insurance. Have any sort of accident, whether your fault or not, you can bet the injured people will be after your money and your stuff. As for steering, it may be the helm that's broken. If you can move the engine side to side without the wheel turning, its either the cable or the helm. Either are relatively easy to replace.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Yes insurance, I have a rider on my house insurance.
By the age of the boat I would say it has a rack and pinion, you will want to replace with a Teleflex no feedback system avalable here at iboats, you may have to drill new mounting holes but pretty easy.

Check your local laws as to what is required, we have to have pdf for each occupant and a throwable, fire extinguiser, nav lights and a horn ect.

As for anything else take it out and every time you say "gee, I wish I had..."
get that.

Nice boat by the way, for 6 bills you can't lose.

arjay2008

Cadet

Ended up pickin up a new rack system, but it wont get here until Tuesday. The teeth in the rack were torn up and I'm assuming the previous owner destroyed it after it jammed. The tilt and trim only works one direction and I'm thinking it's gonna be a dirty contact and I'm planning on changing the lower unit oil before taking it out. Other than that it seems to be in pretty good shape besides a faded and chipped paint job.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Naaaa, the boat's shot...steering can never be fixed....right the boat off and sell her to me ...I'll give you $625 for your trouble.....Please..

NICE BOAT !!:D:D:D
Theres nothing that floats that the men in this forum cant help you fix.