Drilling out Tilt Trim ram cap

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So I bought the right tool. I applied heat to the clyinder and this thing is stuck on here. I used a breaker bar on the spanner wrench and now i have elongated the holes. So Since my spanner doesn't fit in the anymore. I started taking a screwdriver and hammer to hammer it in the direction that will break it loose. 40 mins of hammering and nothing. So now waht can I drill out the cap? I have all new parts but the ram.

parrfive

Seaman
Re: Drilling out Tilt Trim ram cap

I use an air hammer on the real tough ones. If you don?t have one they sell them at wall mart and for what your doing it should be good enough. If you don?t have an air compressor try to borrow one. Use the taper end tool that will come with it and put it in the hole. Hammer it till it comes loose.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

are you dealing with the tilt ram cap or the trim ram cap? which tool are you using and can you post a picture of it?
if you can I can tell you the eay way and how to not let the tool pop out of the holes.

parrfive

Seaman

Its good to know there are something?s you can count on. Like rodbolt following every one of my posts. I guess what they say about some people up north is true. There certain there always right. I?ve had all I want. Seeya.

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am dealing with the trim cap. One of the holes becam so elongated I just stared hammering on those holes. Attached is a pic of the wrench.

Attachments

• spanner.jpg
    spanner.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 0

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I heated the cap and cylinder with a torch for about 30 mins. Then tried the wrench again. Wen that didnt work I used my hammer an screwdriver and hammered at it for about 30 mins. It wont budge

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

good thing about monkeys is when you ask them for credentials they simply fail to show them.
he can yak all he wishes, glad I am not his customer.
to get back to your problem, you have the wrong tool and it will simply never work.
post the model number of your motor, a picture of the tilt unit would also help, then I can post you the number of the correct tool and tips(not given in school) of how to use it.
some of the cap tools are vastly different than others.

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

rodbolt, Sorry for the late response I just got back from my honeymoon. I have attached the pic from my manual about my trim cap. It is a 1992 engine 200 TXRQ i think ... What spanner wrench do i need and where could i get it ?

Attachments

• 0011.jpg
    0011.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 0

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

ok
go by your local yamaha dealer, ask to see the service manual for your engine.
in the trim/tilt section is going to be the correct tool part number.
order the tool.
you will now have to get creative.
most the time once the spanner holes are elongated the only solution is to redrill the 4 holes 45* from the originals.
same bolt circle just rotate it some.
yes they torque to about 80ftlbs, they tend to get tight.
once you get the tool post a pic of it and ill tell you some tricks to aide in keeping it from popping out of the holes. there is 2 basic cap tool designs. dunno out of memory which one you need but its in the service manual.

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

basiclly the yamaha guys are special. They sai I don't need a special tool to take them off. So my question is how much wouls you expect for it to cost to have a shop do it? I am sick of not going out because of my trim leaking out on the water....