Goofed Was Poking Around

sat1962

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I thought I could peek at piston rings by unbolting side cover i think its called bypass or exhaust cover.My problem is i cant get bottom 2 bolts off and there is a gasket. Question #1 is can i use a form a gasket type sealer and boltit up tight if no how do i get 2 bottom bolts off The motor is 1988 70 hp Johnson. Please help thanks .Its ok to laugh at me

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Goofed Was Poking Around

If I am guessing correctly you mean the head cover, it has the spark plug holes in it?

Yes the bottom 2 bolts are a pain, just use a regular boxend/openend wrench, it takes awhile but you can get em.
Yes I use gasket sealer made for thermostats, comes in a small tube for a couple buck and never had any problems with it.
Don't use too much and clean all the surfaces really good.

The cover you pulled will only get you a peek at the water jacket for the head but while you have it apart might as well change the thermostat, that way you didn't do all this for nothing.

When you go to put the bottom bolts back in I found it is a little easier to put the bolt through the box end of the wrench and lower it to the hole and then push on the head of the bolt with a screw driver while you work the bolt in.

Is there a reason you needed to see the rings or you were just curious?

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

The bypass cover is like a small intake manifold. Behind it you will be able to see the intake ports and one side of the piston. 4 small 3/8 bolts right? Why can't you get the other two out? The gasket is very inexpenive but probably something that could be done up with a form a gasket in the mean time.

sat1962

Petty Officer 2nd Class

reply to answers no its not the head its side where starter is has about 12 bolts and has the hose where water pumps out of nipple in back of motor and i cant see piston from there

sat1962

Petty Officer 2nd Class

has anyone had similar problem?

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

Ok, found your motor. That is the exhaust cover and you should definitely not just tighten it up with goop and call it good. If the bottom bolts are innaccesible you will need to pull the motor. Yes you created a little bit more work for yourself but be patient. Understand that the cover you loosened not only seals exhaust but water as well and you don't want to pump water into your cylinders. Getting a manual for your motor is always a great asset. Parts diagrams on this site as well as iShopMarine.com are helpfull as well.

sat1962

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks skeeter i drilled holes since its an 88 wouldnt if it was a 98 ill plug them with rubber plugs .I put new gasket on .To answer your question why i wanted to see rings is i have good compression but someone told me only way to check back pressure from bottom ring is see if it has some spring left to it

iwombat

Captain

Find a more informed someone.

Both rings create the compression seal.