Picked up my free boat

myoung84

Seaman
I started a thread last week about getting a free boat. I picked it up yesterday and brought her home. I don't know a lot about though, other than 1985 Thunder Craft 170 with 140HP 3.0 Mercruiser I/O. I know last summer they replaced the inpeller, propeller, water pump, and throttle cable(s). They took it out on the lake early last summer and after a couple of shift getting off trailer and out of marina it would not engage in gear. I don't know if this was both forward and reverse or just one or the other. I am hoping that something is just out of alignment. How would I check all this in my drive way? I have ear muffs but not exactly sure how to use them (cant be too hard).

The interior needs some work. I think most of the floor is good, the only soft spot is around the ski storage area, everthing else is solid, around the engine, the front. the transom seems very solid as does the rest of the hull. The seats need some attention. The main back to back seats are the worst. The seats them selves are good, just the base under them is rotted. The very front seats also need some new wood.

What do I need to do to the engine before trying to start? (The engine supposedly ran great last summer). I know the plugs, cap, etc have been replaced. What oil and filter should I use? I assume this runs on standard pump gas?

The trailer wiring needs to be completely redone, but the trailer and tires look great.

Please comment on anything above. I am new to boating and want to learn everything I can. I have helped replace a floor in a boat similar to this in the past, so I think I can handle that. Considering the age of this boat, I think its in pretty good shape. I do have the service manual for the stern drive engine. Pics are below. Sorry for the novel.

IMG_4612.JPG

IMG_4614.JPG

IMG_4615.JPG

IMG_4616.JPG

IMG_4617.JPG

IMG_4618.JPG

Andy in NY

Commander
Re: Picked up my free boat

I only see one pic...

What you should start by doing is pputting it in neutral and spin the prop. It should spin freely. Then, put it in gear and see if it still spins freely.

myoung84

Seaman

All pics are up now.

I put in it drive and in feels like I am tuning something, put it in reverse and same thing (I think the opposite direction). Put it in neutral and it spins freely.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Get a manual for the engine and outdrive. remove the plugs, remove the distributor, and using the proper tool prime the oil pump to get oil where it needs to be. now reinsert the distributor. turn the motor over by hand feelling for any hard spots. if no hard spots, now you can try the starter. you need the manual so you can get the distributor back in correctly.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

If I ever told my wife I was bringing home a "free" boat she would bounce an anchor off of my head. (My boating economics haven't been the best over the years.)

While you're going through the engine compartment pay close attention to fuel hoses and wiring. Any sort or rubber or elastomers (seals, the insulation on wires, hoses, etc.) can get stiff and even brittle after 20 years. If you're working in the engine compartment then some of these things might get bumped around and might eventually cause you some trouble.

Congrats on your new project - have fun!

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Free boat = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

myoung84

Seaman

Yeah, I know I probably could just go out and buy a boat for not much more than I will put into this one, but I like projects like this and I hate to see it just sitting in my parents yard rotting away and not getting used. They already have a newer pontoon and a jet ski, so they don't have any time to put into this one.

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The correllary to the theorem is:

boat = $$$$$$$$$$

Pay hard or play hard.

My wife says this should be added:

Boat $$ < woman $$

Boat + Woman = lifetime of paying

Myoung84: get the registration up quickly. It will save you some cash. I look forward to seeing you on the lakes.

myoung84

Seaman

I'm ready to get out there as well. Hoping I can be water ready in a month or so.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

That's a cool little ski tow.

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

The earmuffs get connected to your home/lawn water hose. They get placed over the water inlets, just forward of the propeller. Do not run the motor without them and the water on, not even for a few seconds.
Your motor manual should give you all the info needed for the motor. Gas, oil, coolant, lower unit oil should be checked out per the maintenace part of the manual.

You can't beat free (even though it really isn't).
Good Luck!

ArkBoater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have to say, for a free boat, that one looks really nice! The trailer alone is worth it if you can't get it running...but I bet you can. Good luck and have fun!

myoung84

Seaman

Thanks for the comments everyone.

My shop manual says to use i think 25W40 quick silver oil. What else can I use that is available locally? Where do I get a filter?

Willyclay

Captain

It looks like you have a nice boat to start out. Just helped my son get his 1994 Mercruiser 4.3LX running again since last started in 2006 due to the birth of triplets! Don S of this forum hooked me up to online Mercury factory manuals, service bulletins, etc. That was invaluable for getting it started again. Will get you that website asap! Also, there is a Mercury Service Bulletin for starting an engine that has not been run in over six months. Will try to get you that also. The experts on this forum, which I am NOT, will help you avoid screwing up if you follow their guidance. Good luck!

Last edited:

Willyclay

Captain

Try this website address for the Main Menu to everything you will need:

www.boatfix.com/merc/mainmenu.pdf

Also, the info for starting an engine after being dormant for at least six months is contained in the appropriate service manual for your engine, not a service bulletin as I previously stated. Look for it in the Maintenance section.

Also, Everything in the Mercury system is based on serial numbers so you will need that to verify you have the correct info for the engine, stern-drive, etc. I believe the manual for your engine is Number 13, but you need to double-check that with your s/n. Also, as we discovered, things like spark plug and oil filter part numbers get updated over the years, so be sure to review the Tune-Up Specifications page in the manual before buying stuff. Good luck and let us know how you are doing!

Last edited:

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Boat projects are fine, just know what you're getting into. My guess is you're looking at a complete deck replacement and much stringer work on that one. Can be done, but lots of work and some $$$ (more work than $$$ for that). New cheap seats can be bought for a few $100 or so - not great but get the job done. Maybe the exterior can be wet sanded polished and waxed to look pretty good, hard to know.

I'd start with ripping the floor out starting at the rot area first and see what you've got. If you just want to get it going quick and cheap you may consider just covering up the floor rot with new plywood rather than rip it all out - DON'T!!!! You'll have wasted your time, it has to be replaced and have all the rotten/wet underneath "stuff" removed as well - foam, stringers may be soaked. If not removed, the boat will be a heavy pig and never perform well. It will also not be safe.

I guess you can try to get the engine running at the same time. You may wind up having to pull the engine of the mounts are rotted - check that as well.

Good luck on this one. Lots of work to get it up to snuff but could be a nice boat when finished.

myoung84

Seaman

I honestly dont think there is much floor rot. Just the center section where the underfloor ski storage is. Everything else on the sides where the seats mount and the rear feel very solid. I am pulling the carpet this week to further inspect.

MossyOak99

Cadet

Congrats on the "free" boat. I bought mine a couple of years ago for $300 and have definitely put in a lot of time and money into it. I thought the same thing about the floor in mine until I ripped up the carpet. The center of the floor has no support under it which allows it to feels week. However, along the sides of the boat is where the foam will be. This will keep the floor feeling solid. When you pull the carpet check it real good. That is how I found the wet foam under the floor. Once it is wet it will not dry out and you will need to dig it out. Wet foam adds a ton of weight to the boat.
Not trying to bring an exciting day down for you just want you to know. It is better to get the work in now then have to redo more things in a couple of years. Take your time and do it right the first time. If you get in deeper than you planned, just check out the restoration section as there is a wealth of knowledge in there. I have learned so much by reading through those posts.

cshirley

Seaman Apprentice

On the not going in gear, everything seemed like that on the boat I bought recently and I found on the upper drive gears were sheered off. I lucked out and managed to fine a used alpha one with a hole in the lower unit for $100. A quick swap and I had it up and running well.