Can a skeg be welded?

Kymasabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Aprox 1/2 of the skeg is missing from my Johnson 60hp, I bought it that way, hasn't really caused a problem yet. But, I was wondering, is it possible to weld on a new bottom to the skeg or does anyone make a replacement that bolts on over the remainder of the old one?
Bolt-on would have to fit an '83 Johnson 60HP 2-cylinder.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can a skeg be welded?

The fastest and simplest do-it -yourself skeg repair is the Skeggard. You tap it on with a rubber mallet and drill two holes for the screws.

http://www.iboats.com/Skeggard_Repa...12356242--**********.348895732--view_id.39561

The better repair is the welded skeg replacement and it usually costs less than the Skeggard. A lot of prop shops do the welds.

http://www.iboats.com/T_H_Marine_Re...12356544--**********.348895732--view_id.40152

As much as the cost is bothersome, the skeg protects the propeller from underwater objects and propellers are not cheap either.

flflats

Recruit

Kymasabe, as ezeke stated you can put a skeggard on with little effort. my 60hp johnson skeg broke about 2 yrs ago so I ordered a skeggard from Iboats. it works great....hope this helps

Kymasabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Unfortunately, all the options listed don't have a product for an '83 Johnson 60HP. I guess I have a smaller lower unit than the 84's as mine is 2-cylinder and it doesn't seem anyone makes a skeg repair part for mine. That's why I was wondering if a welder could fabricate something, or if I could use a part not listed for my boat but that comes "close enough" to get the job done.

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most good prop shops can fix that pretty easily. I would call around and see what kind of quotes you can get and decide from there. I would be leary of using a skeggard that wasn't the exact one you need. Good luck

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

my 81 60 hp jonny is missing about 1.5 - 2'' no noticible diff. mine is bent a little to the side so a skegguard would not slide on if availible i have just forgotten about it as it does not pull and runs fine.
-nate

5150abf

Vice Admiral

As a TIG welder for the last 21 years I will tell you be very careful who you let weld on your lower.

Cast aluminum is really hard to weld correctly, and once you screw it it up it is screwed up and you can't undo it, if you have an actual prop shop near you that would be your best bet.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

The sole purpose of the skeg is to protect the prop ... it has zero effect if bent or broken completely or partially on performance.

The best fix is to get a good welder to weld on a replacement piece of aluminum.

It stands to reason that a bent skep could throw off the steering; it's a lot bigger than the trim tab on the bottom of the cavitation plate.

At any rate, I've had one welded with excellent results.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Here is one link that may help in finding a shop in your area: http://www.sfsailing.com/cgi-bin/mbi/propeller.cfm

The trim tab is located in the rear of the propeller where it deflects a portion of the water being thrown at it by the propeller which at times is turning at thousands of RPM. The functions and effects are quite different than those of a skeg.

Look at the shape of the skeg as a lever to lift the motor when you strike an underwater object and a solid protector for your valuable propeller, propeller shaft and gears.

Try to sell a lower unit with a broken skeg - you quickly learn how much the skeg is worth.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

As a TIG welder for the last 21 years I will tell you be very careful who you let weld on your lower.

Cast aluminum is really hard to weld correctly, and once you screw it it up it is screwed up and you can't undo it, if you have an actual prop shop near you that would be your best bet.

They had TIG's 21 years ago? Cool!