Fish Finder Question

krampuppy

Seaman Apprentice
My boat currently has a entry level fish finder (Eagle Cuda 168) on it. I fish primarily in the Mississippi and the water is rarely over 40 foot deep. In fact where I fish the water is rarely over 8 foot deep. Anyway, the fish finder does a good job for what I need it for. My problem is:

Is there anyway to add another digital readout to an existing fishfinder? I like having one mounted where my steering wheel is, but I would also like a readout mounted to the front where I troll from. Its a pain in the rear having to walk to the steering column to see the depth when I am casting from the front of the boat. Any ideas?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Fish Finder Question

I mounted mine on the front deck where I can see it from the helm. It's a pain if I want to adjust settings while driving. ;)

Life is full of trade-offs.

rndn

Commander

Is there a way to mount it with the ball and receiver style mounts so you can swing it toward the bow when needed?

krampuppy

Seaman Apprentice

I see lots of boat with two fish finders. One at the wheel and one at the trolling motor at the bow. Are these two separate fish finders or are both readouts hooked up to one finder?

rndn

Commander

2 seperate fish finders. If you go that route make sure you get two different transducer frequencies if you plan to have both of them on at the same time.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

If you have a long enough boat in shallow enough water, and you put one 'ducer in the bilge or on the transom and the other on the trolling motor, you can run 'em both at once without interference. Different frequencies is a better bet though.

pulled this photo off my local fishing board, it's from a bow-mounted lowrance 520c - those who know say the diagonal is crosstalk with the 28c at the helm.
Unknown.jpg

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

If you have a long enough boat in shallow enough water, and you put one 'ducer in the bilge or on the transom and the other on the trolling motor, you can run 'em both at once without interference. Different frequencies is a better bet though.

pulled this photo off my local fishing board, it's from a bow-mounted lowrance 520c - those who know say the diagonal is crosstalk with the 28c at the helm.
Unknown.jpg

I often wondered what that was. For some reason cross talk didn't enter my mind. Old age I guess. Thanks.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I was going ask if it was a big down rigger ball being raised.

Do you know if this is a Saltwater display. Looks like a lot of anchovies with Salmon or Stripers feeding.
being it only 20 feet probably Anchovies and Stripers in a costal bay.

I love the way he has the sensitivity set. That the way I set mine also.
I can not tell you how many I see turn the sensitivy down until can not see the bait and only see some of the Striper or Salmon.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

It's freshwater, white bass and hybrid stripers (hatchery-produced white bass X striped bass: fast growth, short life span and warm water tolerance of the native whites, aggressiveness of striper, they get way bigger than white bass but not as big as the stripers). We have 3 area lakes with stripers (including Texoma, one of the few self-sustaining freshwater striper populations) where you'll see some downrigger fishing, but it's not very common; this is one of the other lakes. They feed almost exclusively on threadfin shad, but sometimes on the larger gizzard shad. The bait will ball up when under attack, looks like a thumbprint on my old-school gray-scale graph.