Having a NIGHNMARE!!!

Raven Blayde

Cadet
Goodness sakes, I hope you guys can help me here. I just recently bought my first boat (an early 70's fiberglass 15ft) for fishing the local river and lakes. The boat has a Mercury outboard on the back which I BELIEVE is a 65hp, but not so sure now. The motor fires right up and runs great. I put it in the water for the first time about a week ago and the engine would rev up to the sky, but the boat wouldn't go any faster than maybe a fast trolling speed TOPS! It was suggested that the rubber hub in the prop was bad and causing this and I should consider a hub kit or another prop. So, I've decided to get a new prop for this motor because the prop that was on it was all beat up anyway and I've found the Solas props on here new for around $89 (not bad). Now, heres where all heck starts breaking loose. I wanna make sure I get the right prop for this engine, but this poor engine has been so RIGGED by a previous owner, I don't know what it even is!!! :eek: Tracking down the serial # should be easy, but after 1,000 searches and 500 sites I've visited this past week, I'm finding nothing matching these numbers. The tag on the back of the engine clearly says serial# 2017585 and I can't find a 65hp match for it at all. The engine block says Panther 834-2456 on the side of it, but this entire engine has been out and apart because I see red gasket sealer all around the bottom of this motor and in other places that the engine has been worked on. The distributer has the numbers Model# 4d-5 1066 stamped on the top, however, I see that's also been taken off and put back on (or replaced) at some point, so I don't know if this is the correct one or not. Inside the top lid (cover) I found 2114-2455 . Whether or not this was the correct lid for the engine, I don't know. lol... The outter "Wrapped" cover has blue stripes as well. The lower unit was once GREEN!!! :eek: What the heck? From what I've read, these motors were suposed to be all black! The lower unit has been REPAINTED black at some point, but the paint is flaking off in places and been scratched and you can plainly see it was army green at one time. :confused: The prop I took off has teeth for a 15 spline and "through prop exhaust". I thought I was getting the part number off of the prop when I posted it on another thread, but I was actually posting the number of the thrust washer which (get this) is a 70hp Force motor. What the heck??? I think I've found the number on the prop now and it reads 48-37898A3 13P. Whether or not this is the right prop, who knows. The small cover that wraps around the motor between the top and lower unit says 65hp Four. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. This has in deed been a complete nightmare! All I wanna do is get the right prop for this thing so I can go fishing. lol....

Nozer

Cadet
Re: Having a NIGHNMARE!!!

As far as i can tell, this might be the one you?re looking for?

650 (65,0) 1869564 - 2119748 1966 4 cyl

With the serial number and knowing year and so, might help you finding the correct prop.

http://www.marinshopen.se/Hjälpmedel/Modellguide/Mercury/3565Hk/tabid/107/Default.aspx

This is i shop in my country, Sweden. But they are very good at old engines.
So if nothing suceeds where ya at, might give them a try?

/Tobbe