New Bearings? or New hub??

I have a 1880 Pound 17ft 1987 Searay. I went to repack the bearings and there shot. When it put it back together it just makes a loud griding sound. Feelings and Inspecting the bearings you can tell there old (20 years old) and should be replaced. I was just going to buy two entirely new hubs for the trailer which come with bearings, seals, and races. My Questions is.

Do i need the Hub Assembly for 2000lb axle or should i get the hub assembly for the 3500 lb axle???? The Numbers for the Hub is 5 on 4-1/2 and and L44649 bearings.

I figured on buying new hubs cause it would be alot easier and faster to just put new ones on then replacing the races in the exsisting hubs. Is that a good reason?? the different in price is not much at all.

tommays

Admiral
Re: New Bearings? or New hub??

The right HUB would have the right bearing size ,there have been so many sizes used there really is NO standard so they need to be measured

for example"generally" a 1-1/16 X 1-3/8 hub at [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]1750 lbs. capacity each[/FONT] would be on a 3500# axle

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New Bearings? or New hub??

did you just replace the bearing, or the complete system, bearings and races, did you washout all the old grease. it not you have metal flakes in the old. eating your new stuff. changing hubs, does not increase the load limit on the trailer, you have to change the complete undercarriage. springs, axle, hubs.