water jacket blockage?

68warrior

Recruit
2001 mercury 150 -just bought used--no water flows from tell tale pee hole until the thermostats open is this normal? there is no bypass?? motor will run for an hour ( thats as long as i have run it) with no problem .

Laddies

Banned
Re: water jacket blockage?

Many thermostats are not notched or drilled large enough to get a water flow, some the gaskets cover the notches I hate the deal also and ussually take the time to notch them a little more to get at least a dribble.

j_martin

Admiral

2001 mercury 150 -just bought used--no water flows from tell tale pee hole until the thermostats open is this normal? there is no bypass?? motor will run for an hour ( thats as long as i have run it) with no problem .

That's normal. All the water that flows from the tell tale has to go through a thermostat.

Get used to it, not a big deal. Run a pressure gauge to keep track of the operation. The "tell-tale" is only useful to tell you that a normal engine is about up to operating temperature. (Procedure is to look over your shoulder and see it pee before doing a full blastoff with the bass bote, to prevent cold seizure.)

hope it helps
John

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

68 - See if you have a 3/8" water hose that terminates at the top of the block. This is the recirculation hose. You can tee a pressure gauge hose into this.

j_martin

Admiral

68 - See if you have a 3/8" water hose that terminates at the top of the block. This is the recirculation hose. You can tee a pressure gauge hose into this.

Might just have a threaded plug in a hole just aft the flywheel. That's yer pressure gauge feed point.

John