Anyone good with wiring???

FFWFD12

Cadet
For any of you that are firefighters or any good at electrical stuff, i'm looking for some help. I bought two red lights that I am going to put in my car, only thing is they don't have any sort of flashers on them. I was looking at some regular alternating automotive flashers but I wasn't sure if they'd flash fast enough? I'd rather not spend a lot on something either. Any Ideas???

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Anyone good with wiring???

Depends on what bulbs are inside the lights. If you want plain flashing bulb you could use a "wigwag" unit.

It they are strobe bulbs you need a Remote Strobe Power Supply which can be alot of money but they normally control 4 strobe bulbs.

http://www.galls.com/ are high priced but there are wiring diagrams for every device.

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

if they are regular bulbs goto a parts store and get a alternating flasher I think the part# for wagner is 553 but dont quote me on it. or you could get a headlight flasher and hook it in.

Coors

Captain

In Fl, you better be a cop or fireman if you have flashing red lights.

FFWFD12

Cadet

What exactly is a "wigwag"? I've seen a few of them, are they like an alternating flasher? How fast do they flash, i've seen about 60-70 times per minute? is that per light? Would an alternating flasher do the same thing? Thanks!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Wigwag is the type of alternating flashing headlights that used to be a mainstay on old police cars.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

What exactly is a "wigwag"? I've seen a few of them, are they like an alternating flasher? How fast do they flash, i've seen about 60-70 times per minute? is that per light? Would an alternating flasher do the same thing? Thanks!

Wigwag lights flash 4 times that much Your best best is to buy lights that have the flashers built in. When you start pricing power supplies and control units you'll find they are expensive for just two lights. Click here. They sell a single head for $75.

Click Here to Watch It