Carburetor question 77 140hp

1977 140 hp Johnson.
Ok, I'm rebuilding the carbs, cleaned one up, upon reassembly I noticed the idle orifice (jet) has different numbers & sizes, the upper carb has size 27 & 28 the lower carb has size 29 & 30. The lower carb's "jets" were moved around during cleaning so I'm not sure which number jet went where, unless I match the smaller jet on the same side as the top carb (it wasn't disassembled yet). Is it supposed to have 4 different sizes in the carb? Also I've read some people have reused their floats, is this ok? I ordered new floats & they are round shaped, my old floats don't appear bad.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Carburetor question 77 140hp

The round floats will not work or fit. You have to get replacement from BRP - no aftermarket.

0317473 ORIFICE,Idle,140 hp port 20 Inch transom models only Lower carburetor only

0320015 ORIFICE,Idle,140 hp port 25 Inch transom models only Lower carburetor only

0317474 ORIFICE,Idle,140 hp starboard Lower carburetor only

0322936 ORIFICE,Idle,140 hp port Upper carburetor only

0322776 ORIFICE,Idle,140 hp starboard Upper carburetor only

High speed jets are all 65C -

I've seen those part numbers, but what I need to know is what number jets are supposed to be installed the idle jets don't have part numbers like that on them only 28,29,27,30. The part numbers don't translate the size. Manufacture said I shouldn't have 4 different jets on the carbs, so which jets should I have? Has anyone taken apart their carbs and noticed the jet "sizes" on a 1977 140hp and could tell me.
Also how do you adjust idle speed in gear when the idle adjuster doesn't come close to touching the block?
The engine starts & idles on muffs, but won't idle & hard to start in water when finally running, throttle up it'll run a little then die & hard to start if at all, if it starts and idles (praying) it dies upon throttle up.
Another question when using the warm up lever shouldn't the rpm's be higher?

I'm fed up with this outboard not working, I don't know if I'm determind to fix it or just too stupid to know when to quit.

Theoutdoorsman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

An OEM Service Manual would answer all the questions you have. I'm assuming you don't have one handy. If not, it would be in your best interest to pick up a copy. Your local library might have one. Sounds like you need to syncronize the carbs correctly too. Have you performed a compression test and spark test to rule these out? Those part numbers posted can be looked up via the brp website. Maybe that would help you, maybe not. A model number posted would be helpful to others, and to you, in obtaining specific information regarding your outboard. If your not familliar with the brp site, do this:

Click here............ http://www.brp.com/en-US/Related.Products/Parts.htm

Now....... Under the "Parts Heading" click on "Visit the site now".

Next...... Click on the green check mark in the box located in the top left hand corner and select "View Parts Catalogs"

Now....... Click on the "Go" button beside the box, again in the upper left hand corner of your screen, that says "Evinrude". (Johnson owners need to change this to Johnson from the drop down menu first)

Now...... Select the appropriate folders for your year, horsepower, and model number to view the parts lists and exploded diagrams.

The compression is 126 x2, 123,125. I've sync'ed the carbs according to the Clymer evinrude/johnson shop manual and Mr. Reeves timing method.
The spark test is good to over 1/2 in gap. (new coil #3)
Model number 140TL77S Serial number J4805515.
According to the numbers ezeke posted from evinrude's site it has 4 different jets??? The numbers don't explain what size jets.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Go to the on-line store, click the diagram, look up your specific model, look at the carburetor diagram and click on the number for each orifice.
http://shop.evinrude.com/

Or, buy a service manual. The orifice numbers are listed in the specification pages near the front.

Clicking on the PN (just 2 examples)
Part Number: 0320015
Description: ORIFICE LOW SPEED
Pack Qty: 1
Dimensions: 0.27 x 0.19 x 0.19 (in)
Weight: N/A
Equivalent Parts: N/A

Part Number: 0322936
Description: ORIFICE-IDLE
Pack Qty: 1
Dimensions: 2.43 x 0.29 x 0.27 (in)
Weight: N/A
Equivalent Parts: N/A
Notice the SLIGHT difference in dimensions 0.27 vs. 2.43 ??? Possible typo?

My manual (clymers) shows 65c orifice the only other number is for 1980 which shows 0.025 IAB (idle air bleed) nothing about idle orifice sizes.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

ezeke has given you the parts catalog jets 1977 carbs for 140's. His descriptions are by the OMC book.

0317473 .030
0320015 .033
0317474 .027
0322936 .028
0322776 .029

The "new" compression for the engine is probably more like 135+, with original heads, but your readings are still excellent for an engine of that age. Should perform well when you get everything to spec.

Okay I found the sizes also by searching thru different years and they were listed next to the PN. I had the lower carb's jets swapped wrong side so I corrected it, It did seem to help, now I'll readjust everything, I also think the floats are too high.
ezeke or anyone else,sorry if I sounded rude or inconsiderate, it's just been frustrating getting nowhere.
Now I'll fix the other problems, like why the fuel bulb "sucked" itself "shut".
And how to keep water from splashing over the lower transom.
Again thanks for this one guys.

Theoutdoorsman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

On the bottom of the pickup tube, located in the fuel cell, you will find a screen. Might possibly be plugged up. If the screen appears to be free of debris, take a long hard look at the anti-siphon valve (looks like a small ball bearing and spring) within the pickup tubes neck. If the fuel cell is located BELOW the outboard it is safe, and is also a common practice, to remove it completely. Make sure you don't have any unwanted items floating around in the fuel cell which might lodge itself against the pickup tubes' screen while your in there. The bulb being sucked flat is a good indication your not dealing with a fuel pump related issue. As far as the water splashing over the transom........... Make certain you beat your buddy to the front of the boat!!!!!.......... No sense in both of you being wet.......... LOL ........ :)