Dipstick tube removal.....how???

daydreamer1252

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks in advance for the help you've always come through!!

1984 Mercruiser 2.5 120hp, am taking all except short block and head and transferring to a rebuilt engine. Was doing fine until I came to the dipstick tube. Does it pull out, screw out, press fit or glued in? Looked through the manual and didn't see any reference to it. Didn't want to damage as it doesn't look cheap or something I can get on a Sunday afternoon.

As an aside late model GM automotive engines use almost no GASKETS are the marine counterparts built the same?

Thanks,

bhammer

Ensign
Re: Dipstick tube removal.....how???

Not real sure about your specific engine, but some I have seen have one clamp that bolts to the block and then an o-ring into the block. Once you remove the clamp, they just slid out. If you have removed the clamp and your can't wiggle it out don't know. Wait for one familiar with your engine if that doesn't help.

daydreamer1252

Petty Officer 1st Class

Appreciate the reply bhammer! There is no clamp or fitting of any kind tube just fits into the block. Hope one of the "big guys" with all the experience can answer. Thanks again for trying.

fishrdan

Admiral

It's probably a press-fit and kind of a bear to remove.

Try this, insert a drill bit (shank end) into the tube, put a rag on a set of vice grips and clamp down on the tube (rag to protect the tube), then tap it out with a hammer.

Edit: tap on the vice grips close to the tube

daydreamer1252

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks fishrdan. Oilpan is off and have clear access to bottom of dipstick tube. If this is how it comes out then could use a wood block and a "persuader" to gently;) tap it out. However the question still remains how is it meant to come out so damage is not going to be done? Another thought how deep is it to be? is there an official measurement for the depth?

Thanks

fishrdan

Admiral

Yes, if you can get to the bottom side tap it out from there. To stop damage to the tube, use a tool that's squared off on the end so your striking the tube evenly,,, pin punch or bolt cut off and the end ground square.

For tube depth, the old tube should be painted on the exposed part and bare metal on the part inside the block, just drive it into the new engine until the bare metal is gone,,, or mark/measure the length of the exposed tube before removing it.

daydreamer1252

Petty Officer 1st Class

For any of those who may want to know for sure......a block of wood and a hammer and a moderate touch and I was able to drive it out from the crankcase side. no damage and now on to the next challenge. Or something like that...