motor won't start fuel leaking from both carbs

dcunningham

Cadet
I have a 200 mercury tracker 40 hp ran it for an hour now it won't start fuel leaking from both carbs what can I do?

dakota25

Cadet
Re: motor won't start fuel leaking from both carbs

same thing happened to me, probably your carbs need to be cleaned, with a carb kit new gaskets and needle and seat. With me the floats went to high and you could just see it pouring out.

renoduckman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I went through this on my 80 hp 1988 merc. Turned out to be a bad fuel pump. Something to look at if its not the needles in the carbs. joe

tramp666

Seaman Apprentice

Dakota may be on the right track. I did the same thing as well. New needle and seat plus set the float level a little lower and stop that fuel from reaching the top of the bowl were theres a small hole that goes from the bowl to the carb throat. That was my problem... float a bit too high causing the fuel to dump like crazy. It seems to be ok now after one spin around the lake.

dcunningham

Cadet

I took the boat in and they told me they cleaned up the carbs and tightened up the bowls but still having a leaking problem maybe fuel pump maybe they did nothing. Is carb cleaning comlicated and how could I test the fuel pump?