Fuel Pump Whine / VP 7.4GSIEFS

Z275

Cadet
I'm getting a loud whine (loud enough to hear over engine with hatch down) from the fuel pump closest to the center of the engine (I believe this is the high pressure one?). It seems to quiet down at times but it more often than not making the loud whine. Everything runs as normal. Is this a sign of pending failure or is it normal on these pumps? It's a 7.4GSI PEFS model.

Thanks,
Jason

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fuel Pump Whine / VP 7.4GSIEFS

Normally, air makes them louder. Both pumps are side by side so it may be hard to tell which one is making the noise. If it does fail, you have to replace the complete fuel cell. Volvo doesn't sell just a pump for the EF models.

Z275

Cadet

When I wrap my hand around the one the sound changes so I'm guessing it's the high pressure one. It looks like it may have been replaced because the pump and wire harness is perfectly clean and the rest of the fuel cell is not. The high pressure is also all black, like a plastic wrapper around it so I think that it may be a Sierra replacement pump. Do the Volvo OEM pumps have any wiring on them?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The Volvo pumps usually have just an electrical connector on the pumps. No wires visible.