i want more top speed please.

yfz450guy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i have an 88 bayliner 18' bass boat and an force 125hp. have an 13x19 and a 13x17. when i run the 13x19 i can get to 35 to 40 mph at 4500 rpm. with the 13x17 i get to the same mph but my rpm's are at least 6000 rpm's. any ideas as to how i can get more top speed?

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer
Re: i want more top speed please.

Get some of these and you will wake that force up. http://www.boyesen.com/cwo.php?stor...35&vehicle_name=125HP&submit.x=52&submit.y=12

I put them in My 88 Force 125 and Gained quite a bit. It was the only power boost you could really do to this engine.

Also what brand are your 2 props that you are using? If they are different this could be why you have such a difference in the RPMS.

Bryan

rndn

Commander

i have an 88 bayliner 18' bass boat and an force 125hp. have an 13x19 and a 13x17. when i run the 13x19 i can get to 35 to 40 mph at 4500 rpm. with the 13x17 i get to the same mph but my rpm's are at least 6000 rpm's. any ideas as to how i can get more top speed?

It sounds like something is wrong with your tach. A change from 19 to 17 should only change rpm's by around 400, not 1500.

nlain

Commander

Does the engine sound different with the two different props. At 4500 lets say the engine is moaning, at 6000 it would be screaming. If there is not a great difference in the sound of the engine your rpm probably has not varied by 1500 rpm. If the engine is screaming you may have slippage of some kind. Just a couple of thoughts.

yfz450guy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

bry, the 17 is a mich and i am not sure what the 19 is. it is for a through hub motor though i do know that. those reeds are spendy. how many do i need or do they come in a kit? the site is not very discriptive.

rndn, i agree the rpm's should not be that different.

nlain, if i remember right the motor sounds slightly higher pitched with the 17.

i have though located 2 4 bladed props and they are 12.7x17 and 12.7x19 what do you guy's think of something like that?
another thought i just had was that maybe the 17 is really a 15, that would explain such a drastic rpm increase. the numbers on the 17 are not readable.
the 4 blade props are really inexpensive and i would like to try one out if it may help.
thanks for the replies and keep the ideas comming.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Something is screwy with your props.I would think your bassboat would be fairly fast. It seems that 40 would be easy.Trimmed out right it should get up on the water and go.I've seen 115s push similar boats to speeds 39-44 mph.
most of them running 17" stainless.While the 19 would probably be a little too much I would think you should be closer to 5,000with it.Boat is listed at 1470 lbs and being a package boat that may include the motor.Pretty close to the boats I checked.
Does the boat seem to get up or does it seem to lay down flat even though you trim up?Have you tried raising the motor(not trim)An inch could get 2 to 3
mph.If you have no ventilation problems you may have room to raise it.

yfz450guy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i really don't want to mess with moving the motor as i do plan to sell it this summer. i like you just think it should be faster. what do you guy's think about 4 blade props?
anybody in the portland, or. area that has a ss prop i can try out?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Generally a 4 blade will reduce top speed.Generally 4 blade is used to improve low end performance or to push heavy loads ie pontoons,house boats etc.
a 4 blade simply has more drag than a 3.

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

For more performance or speed the only thing I would think about doing is going to Stainless Steel. I went to SS on my Ski boat from what it came with stock and its made a world of differance.

Most Bass boats around here all have SS props on them. Thats got to tell you something.