Need Help 70hp Johnson 1988

sat1962

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is what repairs ive made I need advice what else to do.Rebuilt carbs, set floats parellel which seloc stated. All new fuel lines.... Properly gapped spark plugs....Checked compression. Here are the readings #1(119)....#2(120)....#3(122). I also did a spark test all three fine with plugs out checked them at 7/16, but here is the puzzler.... when idling if i pull #2 or#3 plug wire it has no effect but when i pull #1 spark plug wire it stalls. I also squirted with spray gun fuel in carburetor throats this is what happens..... #1 with fuel wants to choke like flooding... #2 revs up..... #3 revs just a little. Parts store said maybe it's the power pack. I have one but if i try it i can't return it. What happens when im out in lake it idles but just dies when put in gear and throttled up.

Getting desperate thanks in advance 4 any help.

fireman57

Captain
Re: Need Help 70hp Johnson 1988

Sounds like a weak coil. When you pull a plug at idle and it dies then that cylinder is getting fire. when it does not die, trace your plug wire to the coil it is connected with. You can test it by swapping it with a known good coil. For example: If number two fires good at idle and number three does not then swap the two coils and see if the problem follows. sometimes these coils will work at high speeds and not at low and vice versa. Might solve your problem for about a thirty dollar coil.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your #2 and #3 carbs are not functioning correctly. You proved that when you added the missing fuel and got increased rpm.

sat1962

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks guys for your help .Iswitched carb from good firing cylinder and narrowed problem to carbs 2-3 i re cleaned carbs will try it tommorrow.My fingers are crossed oh yeah i did put new carb kits in all 3 carbs but maybe they were still dirty was sitting 5 years

fireman57

Captain

Good catch JB and tdaddy. I stopped reading when the plug wires were pulled. I have to start reading these all the way through!