another foam question.......

sparticus

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok now that I probably failed to garner your attention.....:D Does anyone know when the use of flotation foam was made mandatory? I have a 1965 Hydroswift and I would really like to find out more about it, such as does it have flotation foam. I know what some of you are thinking.....google it. No go. How about fiberglassics.com? Not a word mentioned about that manufatucturer. I know I could probably do a core sample to see for myself but I would like to know more about the particulars of when it was made mandatory. I am a huge research nut about anything I am doing (I am a technical instructor...I come by it honestly) and like to have my ducks in a row. Thanks for any direction (within reason ;)) you can point me in!

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer
Re: another foam question.......

a boat under 20 ft needs foam. do a search here on foam and you will find the info you are looking for. i dont have the direct link to it but thats how i found it

sparticus

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I understand that boats under 20' have to have foam, I have already found the regs from the coast guard that says it. The regs even go into the elaborate process for testing of the foam. What I am looking for is the time frame that the coast guard required foam. I know it was sometime in the 60's but I would like to find out exactly when and if it applied to my boat. Thats the part the regs don't cover.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...... Can't answer your Question,.....
But,....
I've owned several boats back to 1961, that All had factory installed Foam......
The only boats Older than that have been Wood,+ None of them had Foam......

Coors

Captain

I think the uscg regs for foam didn't start until 1972.
foam still has no use, except to rot, and sell new boats.
Foam in the gunnal makes the only sense.