2000 17 Lund Fisherman - Battery Charger Mounting Location

Higginsd

Recruit
Hi,

I'm trying to find a good place to mount my on-board battery charger. I'd like to mount it in one of the front storage areas (not the live-well side) but don't know what is behind the various walls. Is there someway to see what is behind them? I don't see any obvious way to get behind there to see how much room is available.

Thanks,

Dan

Captain Paul

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2000 17 Lund Fisherman - Battery Charger Mounting Location

I have an 01 17 Fish, I put a small battery maintainer in the trolling motor battery box, it works fine. Just a small unit though. I don't think there is anything forward or rearward on the side front storage. Interior side wall could be used as well, just use stainless finishing washers for a clean look. Of course drilling into the exterior side wall of that storage compartment will sink your boat.

Higginsd

Recruit

Oh... I was wondering if the outside wall of those storage compartments was the exterior wall of the boat. Good to know. Thanks for the information. I guess I'll go ahead and use the inside wall of the storage compartment. The trolling motor battery box is too small to hold both the trolling motor batteries and my charger.

I would have thought there was a spot where Lund intended them to be installed. I certainly don't see a spot.

The forward compartments appear to be the most convenient (from my searching) as you can run the charging wires back down the conduit used by the trolling motor wires.

Dan

I might be way too late to offer any help on this, but some charger manufacturers demand that the charger be mounted in a location where it receives ventilation. And, some also caution against mounting to a carpeted surface that would effectively insulate the back of the charger which is the primary heat sink in some units...check your manual.

We're not generally talking about temperatures that start fires here, they are instead more concerned about excessive heat diminishing the performance of the charger or causing the thermal shutdowns to stop the charging process...

In an ideal world, you'd mount the charger in a compartment that does NOT contain the batteries since they produce hydrogen gas when charging that can ignite in the extrememly unlikely event that the charger throws a spark or something. And, you'd leave the compartment doors open to avoid excessive heat and gas buildup.

These things said, it seems every boat I've looked at recently (Ranger, Lund, Crestliner, skeeter...) all have chargers mounted in the battery compartments to a carpeted surface. My charger will be living right next to my cranking battery in the back of the boat once I get around to installing it...

In a console steered boat - like your fisherman - perhaps tucking the charger up under the steering would be the safest/most efficient place. If you use extension cables on the charger's 12V leads, be sure to fuse at least the end that connects to the battery...Again, in the ideal world you'd fuse both ends...And, locating the charger near the dashboard/instrumentation makes hooking up voltmeters to read all the batteries a no brainer.

Best of luck,

Steve

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

FWIW, the charger that came with our '08 1750 Fisherman was located in the forward storage locker on the port side.