Pictures from my engine. advice please!

Darcy

Seaman Apprentice
I took some parts off the engine, and need some advice from you guys please. I'll put links instead of inline pics because they are huge!

Its an 85 OMC 5.0. Chevy

Looking at the valve covers, there is rust on the inside. Is this normal? The valve springs and all of the parts on the engine are rust free, there is only the surface rust on the inside of the covers. Same on both sides of the engine. You may recall from a previous post that I had steam coming from them last season.

Covers

Valves

Is my gimbal joint shot? I think I caught the rust pretty early, so it seems to be only surface rust. My plan was to wire brush it, re lube, and reinstall.

Gimbal

Closeup Gimbal closeup

Bearing

I will replace the bellows, but in the picture below, it looks like some water is getting around the drive seal. Does this look normal to you guys? I suspect this is the cause for low water pressure from the impeller, as well as my leak into the bellows.

Gimbal surface
Water tube closeup

Exhaust mani's are obviously shot, but not as bad as I thought they would be . There is a little rust on the exhaust ports. Do you think it is going to be big trouble? I knew the mani's were shot last time I shut it down, so I let it run for about 10 seconds dry before shut down to make sure there would be no water in the cylinders. I'll replace the impeller after that for sure, but I was willing to sacrifice.
Mani
Exhaust port
Riser elbow
Where should exhuast and used water exit the outdrive? I was under the impression that it was only through the propeller. Mine exits there and right under the gimbal at the transom.

Does anyone know the part # for the mani's and elbows and head gaskets off the top of their head? Is iBoats the cheapest spot to get them, or should I check some local places to save on the shipping? I'm planning on replacing the head gasket too, since I'm halfway to it already.

Thanks in advance!
Darcy

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Pictures from my engine. advice please!

So how far did it sink?

Darcy

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the part look up links.

Can anyone shed some light on anymore of my questions?

dazid1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Darcy,
I wouldn't worry about the covers, looks like lack of use or poss head gasket troubles, and as you are changing the gasket anywa that should be ok, all I could say about the joint is that if there is no play anywhere re- grease and off you go. Glad I read the post as its made me think of my low water pressure from my impeller, I hadn't thought of that, Hope all goes well. Keep us all posted. At least you can get the parts easily over there I seem to struggle, maybe I am not using the correct supliers.
Daz

Wotknot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Personally, if I had already gone through the trouble of removing the gimbal bearing, I'd replace it with a new one for peace of mind........just my .02 cents.

Muqwump

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The rust in your valve cover is not desired but i have seen alot worst. This is caused by several things. 1. Lack of used 2. The seal in the cap not properly sealed. 3 Valve cover gasket not sealed( you usually will have oil running out). If air is able to enter this area, you will draw moisture into the valve cover when engine cools.

a70eliminator

Captain

You've got nothing to worry about just hit all that surface rust with a wire wheel and grease it all up, pack that cavity where your shift lever sits after you R/R for a good cleaning.