Maximum distance between bunk supports?

aborgman

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently bought a boat/trailer, and the trailer is (big surprise) totally not fitted to the boat.

The trailer as I received it had two 3.5' vertical 2x4 bunks - only problem was they weren't even touching the hull. All the weight was being supported on the keel on the rollers.

In replacing and adjusting the bunks so that they are actually supporting the weight, I'm considering moving the front bunk bracket forward to provide a longer support.

The original brackets were 2' or 2.5' feet apart. If I move the forward bracket to the next frame rail I will be doubling the the unsupported span to 4-5'.

Will this be an issue with a 2x4 placed vertically (1 3/4" side contacting the hull)?

Also, the current brackets only allow the bunk to be at a right angle to the trailer - this mean if the bunk hits the hull somewhere other than the a "flat" the entire bunk surface won't be used. Issue or not?

The boat is a 14.5' 1969 Glastron Fish & Ski - "Aqua Lift II" hull (basically a tri-hull), with an unloaded weight of ~500lbs and a 1966 Merc. 500 (~200 lbs). Fully loaded (once it's finished) it will probably only be a little over 1000 lbs.

--
Aaron

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Maximum distance between bunk supports?

buy some more brackets, i run 3 brackets on each bunk, i also use long bunks. my bunks are +- 4 feet apart, 24" from center.

Attachments

• tri hull bunks 002.JPG
    tri hull bunks 002.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 1

aborgman

Petty Officer 1st Class

buy some more brackets, i run 3 brackets on each bunk, i also use long bunks. my bunks are +- 4 feet apart, 24" from center.

I'm not sure I really need to do it - and I really would rather not blow the money on new brackets. Do you think ~4' long bunk length would be fine for this light of a boat?

Also, the current brackets only allow the bunk to be at a right angle to the trailer - this mean if the bunk hits the hull somewhere other than a "flat" the entire bunk surface won't be used. Issue or not? Do I just need to replace the brackets and get some that will allow me to tilt the bunks?

--
Aaron

tashasdaddy

you can alway angle the top of your bunks, mount them with out carpet, and you can scribe them to fit the hull, then cut out what needs to be. you can use longer bunks, they don't have to end at the bracket. click on my picture, it will enlarge.

tashasdaddy

here are some more pics.

Attachments

• more bunks 001.JPG
    more bunks 001.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 0
  • more bunks 002.JPG
    more bunks 002.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 0
  • more bunks 003.JPG
    more bunks 003.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 0

aborgman

Petty Officer 1st Class

you can alway angle the top of your bunks, mount them with out carpet, and you can scribe them to fit the hull, then cut out what needs to be.

That was my thought... just cut the angle to fit the hull as best possible.

you can use longer bunks, they don't have to end at the bracket. click on my picture, it will enlarge.

With 4' bunks I'd have about 6" past the aft bracket (enough to give me a couple inches out past the transom), and probably 1-1.5' past the fore bracket.

--
Aaron

tashasdaddy

use a 10 foot 2x4 and make 5 foot bunks, and go past the transom an little more. will make it easier to balance load, if you have to move boat back. it can always be cut off later. also helps in loading on a bad ramp.