Q4 Sport O.B. question?

buhuskies

Seaman Apprentice
Anyone else own a Q4 with an outboard?

I'm thinking of buying a new one but am undecided between the 90 or 115 HP 4 stroker outboard. No watersports needed thanks, just pleasure cruising but often with 3-4 people aboard and a loaded cooler too.

Is this a decent boat?? heard about cracks, do you think that applies to this boat? Is this an entry level Bayliner in disguise?

Will the 90 versus 115 offer significant gas mileage differences? speed differences?

Do you think I should get it with trailer brakes?? I have a 4WD Ford Escape and tow a 16' boat now with no brakes, no problem.

any other recommendations?

Lastly, no one seems to build similar boats for Outboards anymore. Do you know of anyone making OB editions of around 18 to 18-1/2' long? Thanks in advance....

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Q4 Sport O.B. question?

Anyone else own a Q4 with an outboard?

I'm thinking of buying a new one but am undecided between the 90 or 115 HP 4 stroker outboard. No watersports needed thanks, just pleasure cruising but often with 3-4 people aboard and a loaded cooler too.

Is this a decent boat?? heard about cracks, do you think that applies to this boat? Is this an entry level Bayliner in disguise?

In my opinion, Tahoes are great value buys. They look nice, serve their purpose well and rides decent for the price. It's better than a Bayliner.

Will the 90 versus 115 offer significant gas mileage differences? speed differences?

I think you're better off getting the 115. You can always power down to save gas and have the power when you need it. With a 90, you're pretty limited.

Do you think I should get it with trailer brakes?? I have a 4WD Ford Escape and tow a 16' boat now with no brakes, no problem.

I don't know how far you're towing and the kind of terrain (hills) but I think the 18' Tahoe trailers come with single axle w/o brakes only. I would think that the extra 2' may be stressful to your transmission and may want to consider getting a transmission cooler.

any other recommendations?

Think about getting a larger tow vehicle with a V8 and keep your Ford Escape as a family vehicle. Since, gas prices has skyrocketed, there's a lot of good deals out there.

Lastly, no one seems to build similar boats for Outboards anymore. Do you know of anyone making OB editions of around 18 to 18-1/2' long? Thanks in advance....

Try Glastron, Reinell and Larson if you're on a budget. If not, you can look into Sea Ray, Chapparel, etc. Just need to do searches on what you're looking for in a boat.

Good Luck!

buhuskies

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for your advice however changing tow vehicles is not an option. My Escape is rated for 3500 Lbs towing so that part should be fine. I was questioning whether or not to try to get brakes though (on the trailer).

Also, I once owned a 3.0 Mercruiser Carbureted boat and wonder how an EFI Outboard will be different. Will the EFI be smoother?? I remember the carbed 3.0 seemed quirky at times. sluggish to respond fast. I am leaning towards the Merc 115 EFI 4 stroke O.B.

And by the way, I have researched just about every known manufacturer of this type boat and NOBODY (and I mean nobody) makes an Outboard model except for the Tahoe Q4 and Glastron who makes it in a 17 footer only (offered in an 18 Fish & Ski too but I dont want a F&S model) so that leaves Tahoe with one of the only production pleasure boats utilizing an Outboard. Thats sad in my opinion.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

If you don't have any issues with your current boat, then I wouldn't worry about it. If the dealer is up to it, maybe you can ask them for a test ride with and without surge brakes and see how it responds to your vehicle.

The advice I got from this forum is you really don't want to exceed more than 75% of the vehicle's rated towing capacity. In your case it's 2,625 lbs. According to Tahoe's specifications, the boat your interested in (Q4 Sport OB) weighs 2,382 lbs. Add fuel and gear and you're getting pretty close to that towing range.

Go with the EFI. You'll notice a BIG difference between carb and EFI. Quicker starts, more stable throttle response, less fouling, no problems in higher altitudes, etc. Your choice in motor is also excellent.

It's strange that boat manufacturers are decreasing their production of OB powered boats. I personally like the OB but had to settle for an IO on my boat. Heard on this forum that boat manufactures are turning to IO's because they provide more deck space.

Good Luck!

buhuskies

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all your help and good advice!
EDITED:

After all that, I visited a Tahoe Dealer and looked at boats, then went to a Sea Ray Dealer and wound up buying a Sea Ray 185 Sport with a 4.3 V6, 190 HP I/O. The Sea ray was less then I would have spent on a Tahoe with the O.B. and equal or slightly less then a Tahoe with I/O (which I can't believe) but maybe it was a sale. Gorgeous boat, well built. Anyway, I'm a happy camper (err' boater)...