73 evinrude 65hp

merc1877

Cadet
i was wondering what it takes to make my motor a long shaft motor both my lower unit and mid section are good but they are to short for my boat so do i just need to change out the mid section and the drive shaft from the lower unit and what years and horsepowers are compatible with it.thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 73 evinrude 65hp

they made a kit for it. drive shaft, shift rod, water tube, housing.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Are you sure of that, Tashasdaddy? That would be nice if it exists.
Merc1877, I assume you know what a job that changeover would be? Seems to me that a short motor of that size/vintage would be fairly rare and worth some money as-is. Just my thoughts.

merc1877

Cadet

yeah its worth a lil money but i cant get rid of it a buddy of mine gave it to me and he said if i got rid of it he would kick my but lol because the motor is in such good shape i would like to find one thats got a blown powerhead or something like that for cheap and just switch it out my lower unit and everything is fine i just need longer motor. ive got a merc 115 inline six on it now that his dad busted a rod or wrist pin in so its o now use to me cause i dont want to rebuild but would gladly trade out for the mid and lower of an evinrude does anyone know what years would be compatible with it