This hit me hard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
My deepest condolences to the family and friends of Sgt. 1st Class Jason F. Dene. Thank you for serving and being a good American. Rest in peace and God bless you and your family.

Jason was a high school senior when I was assigned to the Army Recruiting Station in Rutland, VT. A typical young man and his friend that wanted to "join the Army" and we were happy. His friend did his time and promtly took his discharge and returned to Rutland.

Jason had re-enlisted and was doing great. I had the opportunity to see Jason over the years transition from the typical to the proud. Jason married and even attended Drill Sergeant School where he went on to teach young soldiers. Never did a visit to Rutland go by where I did not run into Jason.

Dam he was proud. Married, 3 children and he was thrilled to had attained the same rank as me. I was proud of him he was a shining star.

The news of Jason's death has hit me hard. The exact cause is not known or has not been released yet by the Pentagon.

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a Castleton U.S. Army sergeant in Baghdad.

Sgt. 1st Class Jason F. Dene, 37, of Castleton died Sunday from injuries suffered in a non-combat related incident on Saturday. He was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 64th Armor Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, Fort Stewart, Ga., a Defense Department release said.
:(

Benny1963

Lieutenant
Re: This hit me hard

he sounded like a fine soldier and man
prayers go out to his family .shows fortitude ,and devotion
sincerly Bennyb

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

My deepest condolences to the family and friends of Sgt. 1st Class Jason F. Dene. Thank you for serving and being a good American. Rest in peace and God bless you and your family.

Jason was a high school senior when I was assigned to the Army Recruiting Station in Rutland, VT. A typical young man and his friend that wanted to "join the Army" and we were happy. His friend did his time and promtly took his discharge and returned to Rutland.

Jason had re-enlisted and was doing great. I had the opportunity to see Jason over the years transition from the typical to the proud. Jason married and even attended Drill Sergeant School where he went on to teach young soldiers. Never did a visit to Rutland go by where I did not run into Jason.

Dam he was proud. Married, 3 children and he was thrilled to had attained the same rank as me. I was proud of him he was a shining star.

The news of Jason's death has hit me hard. The exact cause is not known or has not been released yet by the Pentagon.

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a Castleton U.S. Army sergeant in Baghdad.

Sgt. 1st Class Jason F. Dene, 37, of Castleton died Sunday from injuries suffered in a non-combat related incident on Saturday. He was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 64th Armor Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, Fort Stewart, Ga., a Defense Department release said.
:(

Every time someone try's to dimiss the role and status of the United States Of America... and how spoiled we are remind them of his selfless sacrafice trying to make the world a better place....and then ask them how much sacrfice they have done and million's who have.

Life goes on, just dont forget...make him count

aspeck

Staff member

My sympathies and prayers to his family also. Bob, it sounds like was a great young man - truly one of our nations finest. Thanks for sharing his story with us, he will be remembered.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Tragic news for sure Bob. Deepest condolences and prayers to those touched by Sgt. Dene.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

The Kenmyfamily's thoughts and prayers go out to him, his family and all who knew him. From your post he was a fine man all around.
I know he will be sadly missed.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like he'll be an inspiration to others.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Hurts a lot when you know them. Thoughts and prayers............SS

Bob_VT

Staff member

Thanks everyone.

Here is a recent article
Jason Dene recalled: 'He was a warrior'

Terry Deane said his son, Jason Dene, would not have wanted to die in bed.

"He would have rather died, I'm sure, on top of his Humvee with his machine gun in his hand," Deane said Thursday.

The Department of Defense announced Wednesday that Dene, 37, a sergeant first class serving with the 3rd Infantry Division, died during the weekend following a "noncombat related incident."

Dene's mother is Tisa Farrow of Castleton, sister of actress Mia Farrow. His father lives in Akron, Ohio, and Dene's widow and three children live in Fort Stewart, Ga., where his unit is based. Deane said the funeral will be in Colorado, where Mrs. Dene's family lives.

Deane spoke fondly of his son Thursday. A film producer, Deane said he and his son had different spellings to their last names because he added an "a" to his name when union rules forced him to distinguish himself from a performer named Terry Dene.

"Jason was a boy who wanted to be a soldier from the time he grew up," Deane said. "He was constantly playing war games and things like that."

Dene, who grew up in the Rutland area and was listed by the military as being from Castleton, joined the Army shortly after high school. He originally served in an airborne unit, Deane said, but had to transfer out after breaking his ankle in a night jump. He was designated a "master machine gunner" and was assigned for a time to Quantico, Va., where he trained FBI agents in machine gun fire.

"He volunteered for every war there was while he was in, whether it was Haiti, Serbia, Bosnia," Deane said. "He was a terrific father and a great son. He loved the Army. He was a warrior."

Deane said his son suffered from terrible sleep apnea, a disorder characterized by pauses in breathing during sleep. Dene finally got a mask to help with the condition, Deane said, but could not use it in Iraq because of the dust there.

"I'm not sure he ever slept very much," Deane said.

Deane said his son also suffered from tinnitus, a ringing in the ears often associated with hearing damage.

"I guess it was pretty stressful for him, but he never complained," Deane said. "I didn't even know he had any of that stuff before his death."

Dene was three weeks away from coming home, Deane said, and was to be transferred to Fort Irwin in California. He would have served 20 years in February.

"He says he was going to retire," Deane said. "I don't know that he would have if he found a base he liked."

Dene served two tours in Iraq, Deane said, training soldiers about to deploy there in between. Deane said his son had "near-misses" with improvised explosive devices during the second tour.

"He's another casualty of war, regardless of whether he died in combat," Deane said. "He thought the war was just and right, but didn't think we were fighting it correctly. He thought we needed more help there."

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Thanks everyone.

Here is a recent article
Jason Dene recalled: 'He was a warrior'

Terry Deane said his son, Jason Dene, would not have wanted to die in bed.

"He would have rather died, I'm sure, on top of his Humvee with his machine gun in his hand," Deane said Thursday.

The Department of Defense announced Wednesday that Dene, 37, a sergeant first class serving with the 3rd Infantry Division, died during the weekend following a "noncombat related incident."

Dene's mother is Tisa Farrow of Castleton, sister of actress Mia Farrow. His father lives in Akron, Ohio, and Dene's widow and three children live in Fort Stewart, Ga., where his unit is based. Deane said the funeral will be in Colorado, where Mrs. Dene's family lives.

Deane spoke fondly of his son Thursday. A film producer, Deane said he and his son had different spellings to their last names because he added an "a" to his name when union rules forced him to distinguish himself from a performer named Terry Dene.

"Jason was a boy who wanted to be a soldier from the time he grew up," Deane said. "He was constantly playing war games and things like that."

Dene, who grew up in the Rutland area and was listed by the military as being from Castleton, joined the Army shortly after high school. He originally served in an airborne unit, Deane said, but had to transfer out after breaking his ankle in a night jump. He was designated a "master machine gunner" and was assigned for a time to Quantico, Va., where he trained FBI agents in machine gun fire.

"He volunteered for every war there was while he was in, whether it was Haiti, Serbia, Bosnia," Deane said. "He was a terrific father and a great son. He loved the Army. He was a warrior."

Deane said his son suffered from terrible sleep apnea, a disorder characterized by pauses in breathing during sleep. Dene finally got a mask to help with the condition, Deane said, but could not use it in Iraq because of the dust there.

"I'm not sure he ever slept very much," Deane said.

Deane said his son also suffered from tinnitus, a ringing in the ears often associated with hearing damage.

"I guess it was pretty stressful for him, but he never complained," Deane said. "I didn't even know he had any of that stuff before his death."

Dene was three weeks away from coming home, Deane said, and was to be transferred to Fort Irwin in California. He would have served 20 years in February.

"He says he was going to retire," Deane said. "I don't know that he would have if he found a base he liked."

Dene served two tours in Iraq, Deane said, training soldiers about to deploy there in between. Deane said his son had "near-misses" with improvised explosive devices during the second tour.

"He's another casualty of war, regardless of whether he died in combat," Deane said. "He thought the war was just and right, but didn't think we were fighting it correctly. He thought we needed more help there."
------------------------------------------------------------------------

He's another casualty of war, regardless of whether he died in combat," Deane said. "He thought the war was just and right, but didn't think we were fighting it correctly. He thought we needed more help there."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the kind of of stuff that make's this old man's blood boil. I dont have any answers, but i have love and respect along with admiration, and if the world does not have that ....It is time they do... I for one am really gettin tired of the USA gettin kicked around by by a bunch of two dollar *****s....now how's that for a family forum.. Just where the hell are America's men......

Dont like this post admin to damm bad.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Despite what the family is saying (mostly reaction from the loss) I know the background of this man. Jason was a success story since his family was slightly "disfunctional" when he enlisted 20 years ago and continued to strive upward ever since then.

I forgive the emotional responses and the pointing of blame.... I consider the sources.

boatradioman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it is terrible to hear a US solider dying of any cause.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Since it has to degrade to insults (as usual)
It's closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.