dt40 seals on crank

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer
My motor died,narrowed it down to not geting any gas.It would start with gas dumped into her;cleaned the carb,checked reeds,etc,etc.Ended up spliting the motor in half and my middle seal on the crank was shot.
How do I change that?,looks like the crank is pressed together in two peices.Is the only way to get the seals on,done by a machinist?

Hogans Hero

Recruit
Re: dt40 seals on crank

I have a guy here locally that presses these cranks. He is a motorcyle shop owner, but builds racing engines for every powersport. The crank bearings are now greased filled and sealed so no need to worry about the old seal. Just find a local engine builder/motorcycle shop to have them press the crank apart and replace bearings. If you have gone this far with the tear down process, it is best to replace all bearings within crankcase.

Hogans Hero

Recruit

If you need parts(bearings, con rods, etc.) let me know. I am not a supplier, wholesaler or retailer and am no way soliciting anything. Just done a little cross referencing with part numbers to manufacturers.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

I've been looing at all the parts;bearing,seals,connecting rods,labor for the crank etc.To much for a 1990 outboard,aleast for me.Currently looking for a dt40 power head or another outboard,thanks for the reply.
Hind sight being 20/20,I shouldn't of sold the other dt 40 I had,o well thats just the way it goes.